What should I do until refills arrive?

brettl

May 27, 2008
Northern Virginia
After finally getting a stubborn algae problem under control (I think) my pool is finally in good shape. As many other new members have learned, I underestimated how much bleach I would need and how much I would have to stay on top of the problem.

Here's my new dilemma:

The water looks great, but I ran out of the R-0871 solution and don't know the exact chlorine level. I ordered refills on Friday, but given the July 4th holiday figure it will be at least a couple days before it arrives. I should have reordered earlier.

When I last tested a couple days ago:

TC was 30
PH 7.2
CYA 60

The chlorine levels are off the scale of the basic kit and some leftover test strips.

So should I allow chlorine levels to drop down to normal levels or keep it somewhat higher while blindly adding bleach for a couple days until refills arrive? I called a couple pool stores and they can't test over 5 ppm.

Thanks

For your size pool, with a CYA of 60, shock level would be 18. At 30 I think you'll be fine for a day or two until your refill arrives. I wouldn't add any more (until you know your exact level) or you'll run the risk of damaging your liner.

I'm 2 weeks into an algae fight and I'm winning! Thanks to these guys/girls of course!!!!

Actually shock level for a CYA of 60 is 24ppm

I don't advise blindly adding bleach, but I don't want your water to get icky again either.

You can try the "dilution method" with the OTO test, using distilled water. Do a "search" for dilution method.

IT's a really rough estimate, not entirely accurate, but better than guessing and putting in too much bleach and damaging your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.