Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What should I do until refills arrive?

1. Back To Top    #1

What should I do until refills arrive?

After finally getting a stubborn algae problem under control (I think) my pool is finally in good shape. As many other new members have learned, I underestimated how much bleach I would need and how much I would have to stay on top of the problem.

Here's my new dilemma:

The water looks great, but I ran out of the R-0871 solution and don't know the exact chlorine level. I ordered refills on Friday, but given the July 4th holiday figure it will be at least a couple days before it arrives. I should have reordered earlier.

When I last tested a couple days ago:

TC was 30
    PH 7.2
    CYA 60

The chlorine levels are off the scale of the basic kit and some leftover test strips.

So should I allow chlorine levels to drop down to normal levels or keep it somewhat higher while blindly adding bleach for a couple days until refills arrive? I called a couple pool stores and they can't test over 5 ppm.

Thanks
    _______
    35,000 IG vinyl with new Hayward Sand filter in 2006, chlorinator, Hayward 1.5HP Super Pump, Polaris with own pump, gas heater, 2 skimmers, 2 returns, no main drain.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What should I do until refills arrive?

For your size pool, with a CYA of 60, shock level would be 18. At 30 I think you'll be fine for a day or two until your refill arrives. I wouldn't add any more (until you know your exact level) or you'll run the risk of damaging your liner.

I'm 2 weeks into an algae fight and I'm winning! Thanks to these guys/girls of course!!!!
    15,400 gal. IG Gunnite
    1.5 hp Champion Pool Pump
    3/4 hp Century Pool & Spa Motor
    Pentair Automatic Chlorine Feeder
    Crystal Water Pool & Spa Cartridge Filter
    Polaris 280

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually shock level for a CYA of 60 is 24ppm

I don't advise blindly adding bleach, but I don't want your water to get icky again either.

You can try the "dilution method" with the OTO test, using distilled water. Do a "search" for dilution method.

IT's a really rough estimate, not entirely accurate, but better than guessing and putting in too much bleach and damaging your pool.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    That depends on who you ask. I say 18, others say 24. Either one will work, 24 will work more quickly in some cases.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    That depends on who you ask. I say 18, others say 24. Either one will work, 24 will work more quickly in some cases.
    Just going by the chart in Pool School.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com