Vacuum Question

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
This is my second year with my in ground pool so I am still learning. I wouldn't have been able to do ANYTHING without this site. It's where I've gotten all my info I've had very few problems - even as a new pool owner.

I have a question on vacuuming. When I was closing my pool last year I found I had two shut-off valves that take water from the pool. One from the skimmer and one from the bottom drain. When I vacuumed last year I never messed with these shut offs. Recently a friend of mine told me that I should shut off the main bottom drain completely when I vacuum. Is that accurate? Sounds reasonable to me but i don't make a move without checking with you guys first!

Thanks!

If you shut off the floor, you may end up with too much suction through the vacuum and not be able to move it. If you need more suction while vacuuming, then partially close the floor until you think it is acceptable. There is no right or wrong.

I'll second that! From experience! I broke off the attach point on my vacuum head the first time I used it. It was pretty flimsy so I bought a noticeably stronger one. Since I have a Polaris 280 Vacuum that does a really good job of keeping the bottom of my pool floor clean, I don't even bother with the manual vacuum any more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.