3-way Jandy Valve

Jul 21, 2011
When I ordered this valve and installed it I was of the understanding that I could turn off all 3 openings in the valve. After I installed it I realized that the inlet can not be turned off (makes sense).

The way my pump station is setup I have no way of draining the water out of my pool if it gets too high due to rain. So I installed the new jandy valve after the pump so that I can open the valve and lower the water in my pool.

I removed the handle so i could set the jandy valve to be straight through, and then the inlet opening would be used to drain the water out of the pool (see pics).

This is working at the moment, but I am noticing a small drip out of the inlet opening which should be closed. I know the valve isn't supposed to be used this way but if the inlet is blocked should I have a drip coming out of there? or because this is the inlet opening was it designed to not have a complete seal?

I was thinking of adding a gate valve to the jandy inlet to stop the drip.

Jandy.JPG

pump-station.jpg

Ideally it should not drip, but not getting a 100% seal does not really surprise me. I know others have used them in the same way and I had one that did not seem to leak that was open on one end before my solar was installed. I assume you have tried slightly adjusting the orientation to see if you can get a better seal. Also, while under pressure with the pump running it may seal better than when the pump is off.

You could certainly add another valve after it if the drip bothers you. Although then you have to wonder what the point of the 3-way valve was. :scratch:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.