Pentair Pinnacle Mineral(?) Build- - Pump Seal or Something More? (Pictures Attached)

JZeld

Oct 13, 2012
Any help would be very appreciated. I have two Pentair Pinnacle pool pumps for an Endless Pool setup. These two pumps are used for the spa jets at the end of the pool (not the filtering/heating pump). As a result, these jets are used VERY infrequently, maybe 7-10 times/year for 30 minutes at a time. Maybe the lack of use is part of my problem? The pumps are approximately 6 years old.

THE PROBLEM: The pumps run but I have noticed minerals (?) and drops of water leaking out from under the pump. I'm wondering if it is the pump seal or something more. I have the pumps open now and there is a lot of mineral (?) build up in the motor housing (see pic below). I've cleaned everything up using a wire brush and some steel wool (pic below).

MY QUESTIONS: Is the instant fix to replace the pump seals, or are there some other seals/parts I should be looking to replace? For instance, it looks like the O-rings that go around the motor shaft have degraded. Any idea where I can get replacements? Is there a good way to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Under Pump
2qs89yf.jpg

Motor compartment opened up
1zlajow.jpg

Cleaned up motor
169kbqf.jpg

Two seals that go around the motor shaft (picture above)
bfpdw.jpg

Definitely replace the shaft seals, and if you see any more water dripping in that area keep looking for the problem.

Thanks JasonLion. Do you know where I get replacement for the two seals that are in the last picture? Or is there something I can use in the alternative? They are pretty corroded. Am I correct to assume that not a drop of water should be getting into that part of the engine compartment? If I can find something to replace those, I'll put the new shaft seals on, watch carefully and hope for the best.

Thanks again JasonLion. Sorry if I'm just missing it or not explaining well. I have the mechanical seals, but I can't seem to find the seal that fits at the bottom of the shaft anyplace on the Internet. I've put in arrow in the picture below.

j5i7oy.jpg

This is what my existing ones look like:

bfpdw.jpg

I could be wrong, but I am am fairly sure you are looking at part #7, except that the one you have has come apart in a way it shouldn't because of corrosion.

I think it is a separate seal that comes with the motor. The existing mechanical seal seems intact and matches completely the replacement mechanical seal. I'll do some more digging on the Internet and see if I can locate it. if anyone knows what it is/where I can get it, your help would be much appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.