Update: STILL DE blowing back into pool- advanced help needed

Recently had the pool sandblasted and replastered, so decided that I should give the filter a clean. I have done this before and never had a problem. DE filter. Took out the grids, cleaned them down just like the WONDERFUL tutorial here. Grids are in great shape, no tears, no fraying. When I put the grids back together with the "thing" that goes on top of them (I have no idea what to call it - the thing that the water goes through to get into the grids), it never seemed to sit as pretty as I wanted it to. Couldn't find a particular problem, just not as tight as I thought it should sit. Decided I was being overly perfectionistic and moved on. But today I discovered that I have DE blowing into the pool. Not a lot, but some. I am guessing I didn't have the thing seated well enough after all and will break back into it. Is there something else that I should be checking? A rookie mistake that I might have made? A piece that always breaks that I might have missed? A trick to getting everything back into place perfectly?

Thanks for any advice!

Re: What did I do wrong? DE blowing back into pool

It sounds like you know what's wrong.

On some exploded views, they show a sort of gasket thing that sits on top the grids to hold them in position so you can stick the upper manifold on right. Mine doesn't have one, so it takes three hands to get everything lined up properly. Also made sure that little bleed hose thing is where it belongs. I don't know if it will cause problems; I just put it back where they say.

Thank you so much! I figured that was it. I don't have a gasket thing that sits on top of the grids, either. And MANIFOLD is the word I didn't know (thanks) - it is always tricky getting it back on. I do need like 4 or 5 hands to get everything to line up right. I had one grid that just seemed "low" when I put everything back together. Obviously I have something in there wonky. Will it hurt to run it that way for a few days? It is FREEZING here today (well, 56 with a strong wind) and I have no desire to be wet. We have had rain in DFW and I know I need to be circulating the water to get all the pollen out of the pool.

Thank you so much! I figured that was it. I don't have a gasket thing that sits on top of the grids, either. And MANIFOLD is the word I didn't know (thanks) - it is always tricky getting it back on. I do need like 4 or 5 hands to get everything to line up right. I had one grid that just seemed "low" when I put everything back together. Obviously I have something in there wonky. Will it hurt to run it that way for a few days? It is FREEZING here today (well, 56 with a strong wind) and I have no desire to be wet. We have had rain in DFW and I know I need to be circulating the water to get all the pollen out of the pool.
Until you fix it, you're going to be blowing DE into the pool and it won't be filtering much. I'd just shut the thing off. If the pool is otherwise healthy, one day won't make it turn into a swamp.

our PB suggested that once you are ready to reassemble, turn the manifold upside down on the ground, and put the filters into it first, then put the whole assembly back on the filter housing. I will probably hit up youtube though, he said there are great visual walkthroughs there.

our PB suggested that once you are ready to reassemble, turn the manifold upside down on the ground, and put the filters into it first, then put the whole assembly back on the filter housing. I will probably hit up youtube though, he said there are great visual walkthroughs there.

OMG that is genius! Why didn't I think of that??? Thanks for the tip!

OK I am lost. I have cleaned this filter a couple of times and haven't had problems. I took it apart and made sure that everything was put together snugly (upside down trick was great). I checked everything for tears or cracks or any problems - everything looks good. Lubed the o ring and made sure every part was clean. Put the sealing ring thing back on and made sure it is nice and tight. I was sure I had to have it beat. Let it run for 5 hours, and I have DE and junk on the bottom of the pool. What could I be missing?

Last ditch effort - I went and bought all new o-rings for the backwash valve. After that I am just out of ideas. I put it all back together and am waiting to see if there are beaches of DE on the bottom of the pool. Should know in about an hour. I will be livid if I have to call the pool people out here to figure this out. I hate puzzles that I can't work.

Oh, and in a related note, I got the rings at Leslie's and I nearly DIED at how much people were spending on chemicals. I didn't spend that much all last year. Thank goodness for TFP!!! I cannot believe that people blindly buy all the stuff that the lady at Leslie's says that they need. Without question. It was nuts!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.