Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Collapsed

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Collapsed

Hi, I have a 20X40 Buster Crab 46 years old inground vinyl wood pool that collapsed over the winter. Can the pool be refurbished or do I have to get a new pool built? I live in Monmouth county.
    20x40 inground pool, sand filter, vinyl liner, 1 return line

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Collapsed

Quote Originally Posted by marie
    Hi, I have a 20X40 Buster Crab 46 years old inground vinyl wood pool that collapsed over the winter. Can the pool be refurbished or do I have to get a new pool built? I live in Monmouth county.
    I don't think anyone can answer that question. The word collapsed means to many things. You would have to get some pool builders out to look at it. 46 years old is 46 years old.

Sorry
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi,
    We used the pool last season. The wooded walls in the deep end are caving in. The coping in that area fell into the pool. We noticed in April the pool had lost a lot of water, without removing the covers we refilled the pools in hopes to prevent it from not collapsing. We brought in a pool company and they said we would need to get a new pool. Does anyone have experience with wood wall pools being refurbished?

4. Back To Top    #4

How bout some pics?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. Pool company opened my looploc mesh cover and then closed it back for us. I didn't want to leave it open with the kids. Anyone in the Monmouth county NJ area? All I know is the deep end buckled which would probably explained why I lost alot of water over the fall.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by marie
    Hi,
    We used the pool last season. The wooded walls in the deep end are caving in. The coping in that area fell into the pool. We noticed in April the pool had lost a lot of water, without removing the covers we refilled the pools in hopes to prevent it from not collapsing. We brought in a pool company and they said we would need to get a new pool. Does anyone have experience with wood wall pools being refurbished?
    Almost 1/2 century with wood walls is excellent. I agree with the pool builder though, you are going to need a new pool if the walls are caving in.
    Nod
    16x32 IG, polymer panel Vinyl Pool w/approx 21k gallons of H20
    1 HP Hayward Pump & 300lb Sand Filter ~ Polaris 280 Pool cleaner
    ~~Nashville, NC~~

7. Back To Top    #7

Would love to see pics!
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

8. Back To Top    #8

Marie, here is a link from another forum about a guy that rebuilt his wood-walled pool. I assume you could still get in touch with him for questions, etc. He hasn't been on the forum for a while though. There is a link on this post that will show you all of his pictures and the process. Good luck!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 29851.html
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Pentair Booster Pump
    Letro Platinum pressure side cleaner
    Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you for that link.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by midtngal
    There is a link on this post that will show you all of his pictures and the process. Good luck!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 29851.html
    Good lord, that was one heck of a DIY project !!!
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

That was an incredible project and scrap book.

I would say that he could defiantly answer your questions.

Good luck I hope it turns out to not be as much work as his but if it is I hope it turns out as well.

Please keep up updated it is such an interesting system (wood wall pools)

Please post pictures.
    10,000 Gal. - Plaster – I.G. - Sand Filter – NOT USING MY Auto Puck Chlorinator.

12. Back To Top    #12

I know! Wasn't that cool though?? I was so intrigued watching it last summer/fall since I had just joined the site and had just signed my pool contract. He seems to be a great guy. I think I'll post a message to him and see if he'll come join us.......
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Booster Pump
    Emerson 1HP pump
    2 skimmers

13. Back To Top    #13

All I can say is....

It doesn't even look like the same pool!

What a job he did. Amazing. Truely amazing!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Here are pictures of the pool

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Located in Monmouth county NJ.

15. Back To Top    #15

I would do what boogerhead did. But I am a cheapskate.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

16. Back To Top    #16

Marie...did boogerhead ever get back to you??? I see he has resurfaced on Garden Web and answered a couple of posts. If he hasn't, I would try another post with his name in it so he will open it.

Karen
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Booster Pump
    Emerson 1HP pump
    2 skimmers

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Wow!
    There was a write-op in aqua magazine on plywood walled pools. I would restore it. Just take in consideration a few update change should be made.

I don't know how your pool set on site, rain runoff from the house would be top of the list. Drainage is important for both the house and the pool. Perserving the plywood walls pickled in some spaceage finish. Upgrade the drainage by the new pool walls can help.

How bad does the coping looks, what are they made of? Have you taken the water table down to prevent anymore erosion to the sub-grade under the pool deck?

Have you done any resarch who built the pool? If I had a company been around to see this pool last this long, I would build the customer another pool on the house. Nobody builds like that anymore.
    35000 in ground vinyl liner with cartridge filter
    Birmingham,AL

18. Back To Top    #18

So when the builder is telling you you need a new pool, I think that is because a new pool would be cheaper then repairing that one, mostly based on labour.

If you did the labour yourself, I think you could repair that, but you are looking at a heck of a job. The biggest problem is all the dirt washed out into the wrong places, especially under the deck from your pics. I would avoid walking on that part of the deck (your pics show someone on it!), since really, its pretty dangerous at this point. A few inches of concrete isn't really meant to be a load bearing platform, especially if it isn't reinforced, or only reinforced with a bit of mesh. Backfilling that dirt, and somehow getting it properly compacted, while reshaping the walls and bottom will be tricky.

At this stage, I think you have a few options:

1) Rebuild the pool. Consider repouring/replacing the deck around the pool, since that would make the job easier, as you could get a compactor in there
    2) Get a new vinyl pool
    3) Buy a fiberglass pool that would fit in the existing hole, although you'd probably need some fill as well
    4) Fill in the hole

Sadly, none of those is really cheap, even 4 ends up costing more than you would expect, depending on the costs of top soil in your area.
    Jim

19. Back To Top    #19

Karen, midngal had put a post on gardenweb.com calling boogerhead to help me. He didn't respond.
    Nasty90,
    How bad does the coping looks, what are they made of? Have you taken the water table down to prevent anymore erosion to the sub-grade under the pool deck?
    the coping is pretty bad, I think they are made of metal. No, I didn't bring the water table down, should I? Can it eventually sip into the basement(basement is the lenght of the house); the sunroom is very close to the pool, should I be alarmed?
    Rob, I'm considering getting a new vinly pool build.
    1-To eliminate pool and fill area would cost at leat $8K
    2-New vinly pool at least 29K (this includes the 4K to remove existing pool)

The existing structure is 20x40, can I go down to a 16x32? What questions should I be asking the PBs? which filter is better (DE, Sand, Catridge)? what is a good size pump for a 16x32? Can anyone suggest builders in Monmouth County NJ?

20. Back To Top    #20

$8k to fill in the existing pools seems high to me. If you are considering this, I would get two more quotes.

If you do decide to rebuild the pool and want a vinyl liner, make sure the walls are galvanized steel. My pool is 41 years old -- nearly the age of yours -- and the walls still look new.

You will find much information on this site about the advantages and disadvantages of the various filter types. Do spend some money and get an over sized filter and a two-speed pump. The extra cost will be made up in a year or two via electricity savings.
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast