Flagstone on tanning ledge

Aug 30, 2013
Maryland
Anyone have flagstone on their tanning ledge? Especially if you live in a frost prone climate?

Plaster/tile crew highly advising me to avoid it in Maryland. Says stone will absorb water and crack from frost in the winter. Love the look though.

Thoughts?

This is a link to our PB's website that contains many pictures of pools in MD or Northern VA with stone on tanning ledges. We do not have it and I would have some of the same reservations as well. James, the owner, is great to discuss things like this with if you were interested in having them quote your pool. The look is gorgeous to my eye.

I would think you'd certainly need to keep the water level below the ledge level all winter, which would mean judiciously pumping out water (if you use a mesh cover or solid with drain panels). Though covers also need the water level to be within x inches of the coping surface to not void the warranty (and not stretch/break them). So there would be little room between your low and high water levels. But these are just my thoughts and could be inaccurate.

http://www.themarylandpoolbuilders.com/portfolio.php#

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.