Jandy DEV48 - How much DE do I add after backwashing??

dubele

Jun 17, 2013
Southeast Pennsylvania
Hi all,
I thought I'd ask all of you on this. I have a DE filter (Jandy DEV48). I have a brand new pool and the pool was just setup a week ago. The guy who set it up put in 5 lbs of DE. The manual also says to put in 5 lbs after backwashing.

My next door neighbor has the same filter and builder and the guys who close her pool (from the same builder) state that she is putting in too much DE....she was putting in 5 lbs. She puts in a coffee cans worth and my neighbor two doors down does the same.

How much DE are you all putting in out of curiousity??

Thanks,
Doug

Normally you want to add about 80% of the DE amount after backwashing. Backwashing never removes all of the old DE. Using the full amount tends to end up packing the filter full of excess DE over time.

The manual says 5 lbs. So that's what you add for a clean fill. As Jason says, 80% after backwashing. If you do a full teardown and cleaning, then you're back up to 5 lbs. You don't want to end up with the filter looking like this:

attachment.php

If you have a kitchen scale, that's the best way to measure it. My wife is fine with me using hers -- she really likes having a sparkling clean pool.

OMG... That is unreal.

I have a 48 as well but I only use 3 lbs initially and about 2.5 after backwashing. It has worked just as well for me, saving DE cost and I never have a cake mess like that scary picture.

The manual says 5 lbs. So that's what you add for a clean fill. As Jason says, 80% after backwashing. If you do a full teardown and cleaning, then you're back up to 5 lbs. You don't want to end up with the filter looking like this:

attachment.php

If you have a kitchen scale, that's the best way to measure it. My wife is fine with me using hers -- she really likes having a sparkling clean pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.