TA/CH Increaser Mix Up?

May 5, 2013
Egg Harbor Twp, NJ
Ok...Opened my pool last week and everything has gone smooth. I tested my water this past Sunday and here were my readings:

FC - 3.0 (good)
CC - 0.0 (good)
pH - 7.6 (good)
TA - 100 (high)
CYA - 30 (low)
CH - 100 (low)​

So, my plan of attack was to first bring the CH up, then adjust CYA and then lower my TA. Went to the pool store yesterday to pick up 8 lbs of stabilizer and 25 lbs of CH increaser.

I added the CH increaser yesterday afternoon and retested the CH this morning. It was at 240.

Here's the problem though. I happened to look at my receipt this morning and it says that I purchased TA increaser!! I'm hoping that the guy filled out the receipt wrong, but I have no way of knowing as I through the container out this morning and trash pickup already occurred. To pile it on, I'm out of town and can't just go out back and check the TA to see if it's through the roof. I'm freaking out that I might have made a huge, stupid **s mistake! So my questions are:

1. Is there anyway that TA increaser would have increased the CH? If not, then this would be clear indication that the stuff I put in was in fact CH increaser.
  2. If it was TA increaser, is this going to cause any damage? I will not be back in town until Friday to address it. Should I call a friend to have him go check and adjust it before then?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Steve

Since the CH went up dramatically, what you added pretty much has to have been CH increaser. TA increaser would not have changed the CH level at all.

If, somehow, the TA went up, high TA levels don't directly cause problems, but they do tend to drive the PH up.

Who did you get the "TA" increaser from? Maybe the same pool store you had done your test at? If so, you really need to get your own Test Kit, the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006. Either can be found @ tftestkit.net. It'll save you a bunch of money in the not too long run! Test Strips are only slightly better than pool stores in that a test strip won't tell you to buy something that you don't need! ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.