Manual or Automatic Pool Cleaner?

May 13, 2014
South Orange NJ
We are new owners of a 25k gallon in ground pool in New Jersey. The pool was just "opened" last week and there is dirt at the bottom of the pool. It collects all in one area- the deepest section of the pool that is only 5ft to 10ft across. There is not much debris falling from overhead trees because none are that close. Should we get a manual of automatic ("suction side" I think it's called) cleaner? We don't mind doing the cleaning manually occasionally, but realistically I don't think we're motivated to do it every week. We just converted to a salt generator (I'm not sure if this makes a difference). We're having our pool service guys (the same who installed the salt generator) come every other week all summer long. I'll apprecaite advice on this

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

There is an article in Pool School that will help get you started learning. I would suggest a smaller robot but can't suggest a specific brand. The SWG is irrelevant.

It really depends on your preference and cost. If it's just a small area, you might want to go cheap with a little vacuum wand that can clean or use a hose connecte to your skimmer. For wider area cleaning, I went with a robotic because I didn't need a booster pump and it can filter/polish the water a little finer. The initial cost is higher but worth the convenience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.