Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fiberglass or Gunite?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fiberglass or Gunite?

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide between FG and gunite pool. If you had to do it all over again, what would you choose and why?

I like the idea of customizing the pool so it fits my family's needs and blends into the landscape. However, I'm not sure how much extra work it will take to maintain a gunite pool as opposed to FG (in real life terms, like minutes/week extra gunite with a nice pebble type finish vs. FG).
    17,500g, IG pool/spa, pebblesheen, Autopilot TC SWG, Pentair 4x160 variable speed pump. Sta-rite cartridge filter, Sta-rite Gas heater, Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    For me the decision rests on size and flexibility. A gunite pool can be any size and any shape while FG comes in fixed sizes which are generally on the smaller end of the range. We are hoping to replace our vinyl liner with a gunite pool that will fit into the landscape (ie curve around a lot). If FG was available in that size/shape we probably would go with it instead.

A gunite pool will probably cost more. A gunite pool will require significantly more maintenance in the first month or two. You need to brush the pool constantly when the plaster is first curing and add acid to control the PH constantly for the first several months. After that startup period maintenance should be very similar to a FG pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Gunite Vs FG

I'm still in the install phase of my pool, but after LOTS of research we decided to go FG, specifically a Viking brand pool. They seem to have the best construction and the best warranty. I have spoken with many Viking owners, and have not heard a bad thing so far. There are some size limitations due to the need to transport the pool in one piece.
    I have a blog of my pool build (although we have not broken ground as of yet) www.myingroundpoolproject.blogspot.com
    Take a look, leave some feedback.
    Good luck!
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    1HP Super Pump
    Clearwater/Zodiac LM2-24S SWG
    Aquabot Turbo Robot Cleaner
    250K NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4
    medic, your pool blog is great! Best of luck with your pool, I am sure you won't be sorry! You fixed all of the things that I don't like about my pool I would love to have the top lip covered (like yours), and would love tile around the waterline (like yours), and not white (like yours). Most of these features were not an option for me when I had my pool installed. So since I love my pool even without those options, I am sure you will very happy with all of your choices - I know I woudl Can't wait to see the pictures when it's in!
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    Thanks MBAR !!
    I've learned a lot from TPF. I think I even saw a pic of your pool? It looks great!
    I'll add to the blog as we go along. Feel free to leave any comments. I'm going to also tell the PB that the "pool community" is watching his work online, hoping that keeps them on their toes!!
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    1HP Super Pump
    Clearwater/Zodiac LM2-24S SWG
    Aquabot Turbo Robot Cleaner
    250K NG Heater