New to pool

May 4, 2014
Billings, MT
I bought a new house and with it a pool. I'm new to a pool, though I am used to maintaining my hot tub. The pool was closed when we bought it and didn't have a cover. With 2 mature trees next to it and a huge (80 ft) tree that dumps about 60% of its leaves and now spring debris into the pool, I'll be buying a cover this fall. In the mean time I have removed all the debris I can, filled it, and ran the pump can cleaned out the pump basket until it remained clean between checks (about 20 mins run time). I scrubbed the pool down with a brush and now have split pea soup. I haven't added anything yet but did test it (TF-100) and unsurprisingly found zero CYA, which leads me to my question. Do I need to raise this completely before I even bother adding bleach or can I start adding both at the same time? Also my PH is 8.2 (TA 150), should I adjust this after I get clear or before I start?

First things first lower the pH to 7.2 with muratic acid and add enough stabilizer to get you to around 30 ppm and go read pool school the article on slamming your pool.......ABC of water chemistry........Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Once you complete the above post.....SLAM AWAY.....and remember we love pics......lol

Welcome to the forum. Get it adjusted before you start, otherwise you will have both the sun and algae eating up your chlorine. Just put your CYA in a sock in front the a return with the pump running. Read the SLAM procedure in pool school and you will have a sparkling pool in no time. In fact, read and reread all of pool school. Lots of good information.

Oops. Forgot to mention lowing PH to 7.2 with Muriatic acid.

I'll start with the adjustments first then, Thanks! I'll keep reading, just wanted to get a jump on it while my mind absorbs all the wonderful info this forum as to offer. As to how long, when i looked at it in Aug 2013, it was green do to an electrical issue to pump. Electrician came out and fixed the short. He was in the process of cleaning up, saw the pump/filter running in an attempt to clean it, but after we signed I'm sure he just winterized it and called it good. He seamed to do a good job with the closing, Given the immaculate yard and retired gentlemen I'm sure it was clean prior to the electrical short. Just too bad it had no cover at all to keep out debris!

You got good advice to fix pH first, add CYA to 30ppm and then SLAM. Keep raking the bottom to see if there is anything else down there and brushing the pool. You're going to do well with the TF100! Congrats on taking control of your pool right off the bat! And...

:nopic:

Just a quick update. Sorry no pics yet, should have taken one to start. I got the pH down to 7.5 with some dry acid that came with the house. Upped the cya to 30, TA has been 150, FC is 12. The CH I'm having a hard time with, it turns purple not red and no after 30 drops its still just purple not blue. I'm not that worried about it yet but am curious if that is just a zero reading and I need to enter that into poolmath? If so wow! because it would want me to add 48 lbs of calcium chloride.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.