Pump is not holding a prime

May 12, 2014
Ojai, CA
I made a mistake yesterday and accidentally switched my filter valve from backwash to normal operation while the pump was running. Oops!!
Ever since then, when I cycle the pool, it will take several seconds to get prime on start up and it will only hold prime for 5-10 seconds. It usually holds prime to clear the majority of the bubbles out of the strainer area and then is will suck all the water out and then go back to sucking air (this cycle just repeats itself until I kill the pump). I am not sure why this is happening.

I have tried opening the air valve on the DE filter to bleed air out and it will spurt a bit of water when it gets prime then the pressure goes to zero and nothing comes out of the air vent, not even air once prime is lost.

After a few Youtube videos, I checked the impeller and it seems to be spinning just fine. Tried messing with the skimmer and sidewall vacuum valve and it did nothing.

I am lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Cheers,
Chad

Welcome to TFP!

That sounds like a suction side air leak of some kind. The first place to check is to make sure the gasket on the pump strainer basket lid is in good condition, no nicks, cuts, or crumbling, and that the pump strainer basket lid is properly affixed to the pump.

and then is will suck all the water out and then go back to sucking air (this cycle just repeats itself until I kill the pump
A suction side air leak like that (cyclic) is often indicative of your pool water level being too low and you are creating a whirlpool and sucking air in your skimmer(s).

Turn on the pump and observe your skimmer(s).

Welcome! :wave:

Say "hi" to Steve Austin if you see him around town. Bill and Ted say hi. :D

Been there, done that. The water level is too low or the weir (flapper) in the skimmer is stuck closed. You need to refill what you lost after backwashing and make sure that weir moves free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.