Backwash hose

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi all, stupid backwash hose question. We had gone through several cheap b/w hoses that Mr PB included (they always bust holes easily). Finally got a good one that has no issues, but it's only 25' and really need a 50 footer. Here is my issue. If I flatten the current hose, it measures 2.5" across. The pipe from the filter has a reducer fitting on the end which measures a 1.5" diameter. Sooooo, do I need a 1.5 or 2" hose (and have not seen any 2.5" ones, but the current one is 2.5 across (when flattened). It appears stretched perfectly over the end of the reducer, and not bunched up (as i would expect of a larger diameter hose clamped onto a smaller pipe). Of all the pool equipment stuff, never imagined this would be a difficult purchase!

Welp,
I went through something similar as you. I ended up getting myself a Firehose on eBay for less than 40 dollars. (A tip from someone on the forum tipped me off to the firehose gig.) There are tons of them there. Prolly will last forever.

Edit: Richard already posted the size, so I just delete mine.

Isaac, I think that well may have been you that gave me that firehose tip. The thang works fantastic. With my cartridge, I dont backwash, but I use it for pumping water to waste during toad strangler rain so I dont overflow. Using it tonight actually. Raining cats and dogs in N.E. Texas tonight.

I saw this thread and thinking a 1.5 inch fire hose be good for backwash. I have 1 1/2 hp pump and need to do a 100 foot run. Will that be enough to pump it? Also, how to adapt the hose fitting to the pump outlet. I think it is NPT. not sure.

Thoughts/suggestions

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I saw this thread and thinking a 1.5 inch fire hose be good for backwash. I have 1 1/2 hp pump and need to do a 100 foot run. Will that be enough to pump it? Also, how to adapt the hose fitting to the pump outlet. I think it is NPT. not sure.

Thoughts/suggestions

Thanks

Hi all. Am resurrecting this post as I've finally had it with backwash hoses! Had been using the typical pool backwash hoses, but they ALWAYS break and spring leaks. For some time had used a pool vacuum hose with a clamp on it, but that has not separated at one end so I need to hold the hose on the end of the pvc pipe while my wife turns the system on/off. I need to make this a one man job! Have looked online at the firehouse option and am very intrigued. On the heels of the last post in this thread, how would one set this up? I assume I would need to glue on a female threaded pvc fitting so that the firehose could be threaded on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any chance of putting in a hard waste line and burying it? I had that done when my pool was installed and it was the best thing I did! It runs over 75' to the woods, but it's just so clean and easy...

Any chance of putting in a hard waste line and burying it? I had that done when my pool was installed and it was the best thing I did! It runs over 75' to the woods, but it's just so clean and easy...

I thought about doing this as I want to bury a 4" PVC pipe with a pop up drain for my downspouts, which are close to the pump. I could easily plumb in a connection for the backwash line, but my only thought was that the DE might clog the pipe over time?

I have thought about that and would love to, but it would mean digging a 25-30' trench across my lawn out to the woods edge near the equipment, which could be done, but it would be just another project to add my already behind schedule list!

:bump:
Hi. Anyone have any thoughts on connecting an old fire hose? I believe I have a 1.5" FNPT end on my backwash line. I suppose I could cut one end off the fire hose and connect with a clamp, but that's a bit of a pain to connect whenever I have to backwash and not sure if s clamp would hold it?

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Pretty sure the existing pipe is 1.5", but will check when I get home. We have blown through so many backwash hoses and the pressure even broke the end of a vacuum hose that I used to clamp onto the pipe. The link for the hose you sent looks great, since I can cut to length and I can just clamp it onto the discharge pipe instead of hunting for an adapter to connect to the one I was looking at. Assuming you haven't had any issues with tears, breaks, etc.?

I just got it Monday and haven't even looked at it yet as I've been too busy. They also sell 25 and 50 foot lengths. I may or may not need all 100 feet I would like to get the discharge to my property line and the 25 foot one that came from my PB was not cutting it. My pipe end is also 1.5" and i needed the 2" to fit over it and I planned on just clamping to it. You may want to reconsider the 2" size as well. It is similarly reinforced like the one you are considering.

That's a good point on the sizing. My existing 1.5" pipe has a threaded end attached which eventually terminates in a plastic barb type end. Was going to clamp to that, but might be better clamping this 2" hose higher up on the pipe before the fittings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.