Problem with Pool Pump

Jul 7, 2008
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum and hopefully some one here would be able to help me with the problem i am having with my pump.
I have a Hayward 3/4 HP inground pool pump, which came with the house. It worked fine during the summer when i bought the house, but know a year later it just wont work properly.
When ever i turn it on (after priming it) The pump starts up sucks water for about 10-12 secs, and then it trips.
If any one could help me that would be great.
Thank you
Borg drone

If the pump is of unknown age, or an old pump, I would just get a new pump. Now is the time to look a maybe a 2 speed or energy saving pump. Many internet pool places are having sales on them. To repair or replace, you're going to have to make up your mind fast. Your pool isn't going to like sitting there with no water movment.

Most pool places will repair a hayward pump and beable to do it in one or two days.

Thank you for your quick response hotrod,
I will probably end up doing that. But before i do i want to make sure that it is the pump, and nothing else (what could be the reason for it to trip like that).
How much of an expense am i looking at to replace the pump?
And if possible i would still like to keep this pump as backup but only if i can make it work.
Thank you
Borg drone

borgdrone said:
Thank you for your quick response hotrod,
I will probably end up doing that. But before i do i want to make sure that it is the pump, and nothing else (what could be the reason for it to trip like that).
How much of an expense am i looking at to replace the pump?
And if possible i would still like to keep this pump as backup but only if i can make it work.
Thank you
Borg drone

If you want to keep that pump as a back-up, take it to a pool place that repairs pumps and get it checked and repaired. They will beable to tell you if the pump is bad and if they can fix it or not. Remember, your pool is just sitting there durring prime swimming season. Just remember this fall that you might want to start looking for a replacement that is energy saving and will fit your piping with little or no modifications. All pool places both local and on the internet will be having sales.

The main thing is to get a pump (new or repaired) going in your pool asap because it is July.

Before you take the pump to have it looked at, look around the internet to see what a replacement pump would cost. The repair man might tell you that your pump is shot and he can sell you a new one for X amount for dollars; you'll have an idea what they cost.

I would look around the internet for about an hour, but get that pump to a repair place today. I don't know your location; but I bet it's hot outside.

i did take the pump to leslies (the only place that could find to test the pump), They ran the pump for a few secs and saw that their was water movement and told me that the pump was absolutely fine, and that it must be sucking air from
somewhere along the pipes. So i disconnected the pipes from the pump, connect some PVC pipes making sure that the joints were sealed along the way extended the poweroutlet right next to the inground pool. and submerged the pipe directly into the pool. But it still does the same thing, it pulls water for 10-12 secs and then trips. i have been strugling with it for over a week now and am very frustated with it.
the pump i am thinking of getting is HAYWARD 1 HP SUPER SWIMMING POOL PUMP MODEL SP2607X10
Is this a good pump that would last me a while or should i be looking for something else.
Thank you
Borg drone

In the swim has that pump with next day delivery for most of the country.

Here: http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... und-pools/

Only you know what you can afford and how long your pool can go without movementand where you stand at this moment. That is not a bad pump for the price. There are other pumps that maybe more enery savings but cost more. There are other pumps that may cost less but not work as well on take some pipe changing to fit.

It may even be a bad circuit breaker. Without being there and watching the pump and checking it out, it's hard to say what is wrong. Sorry I can't help out more. Only thing I might try is to replace the breaker that is tripping. It's a wild chance; but you never know.

borgdrone

I'm an electrician for over 30 years and you may have this problem with your old pump.

With the information you have supplied older motors have a start winding and a run winding.
The start winding starts initially and after motor gets to a higher rpm a switch is activated on the rear of the motor which adds the run windings which maintains the higher speed.
Within the motor you also have a thermal protection switch that opens up if the amps get too high or the tempurature of the windings are high.

Now that you know some basics I would think that the centrifical switch is bad and you never get out of start windings which would overload and trip the breaker or the run windings are shorted which also will trip the breaker when the centifical switch actives.
The other possibilities are if the motor is hooked up to a GPF Circuit Breaker which will go bad over time and prematurely trip or you may need to check all wiring and insure you have a good ground.

Anyway being the motor is old I would still suggest to get a new more energy efficient motor.
Hope this helps.

Thank you iggy, for clearing that up for me.
Now i will try to see if i can do something with the pump and keep it as a backup later on.
So now i am looking for a pool pump.
How is
HAYWARD 1 HP SUPER II SWIMMING POOL PUMP SP3007X10AZ
compared to
HAYWARD 1 HP SUPER SWIMMING POOL PUMP MODEL SP2607X10
Thank you
Borg drone

borgdrone said:
Now i will try to see if i can do something with the pump and keep it as a backup later on.
How is
compared to
Thank you
Borg drone

Only you can decide the final selection.
I did check both these pumps and motors and the funny thing is that they both are 115V or 230V and both pull identical amperages. 115V @ 15 Amps 230 volts @ 7.5 amps
They also have a rating of drawing water up from 8 ft deep to pump level.

So here is a few facts but you will need to decide yourself. I'm sure others will tell you about multispeed motors etc. But when you get down to it it all comes down to how much money you have to spend and want to pay for electric.

It would help if you said what type and size pool you have as well as what type of filters and water features if any.

Have a great day.

borgdrone said:
How is
compared to
Thank you
Borg drone

Is there a particular reason you want to go with a 1 hp pump? Depending on your set up, the only thing it may do for you that the 3/4 hp or even a 2 speed 3/4hp can't do is use more energy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.