Fc 19 last night at 22:52
Cc 1
Ch 275
Ta 90
PH off the charts 8.2+
Cya 40
Fc 18 at 5:00 this morning

Had to go to work.
Brushed, vacuumed, cleaned filter when I got home.
I remember reading and being told pH will read high at high chlorine concentrations but I believe it is truly high because it was all winter long and since we weren't swimming I decided to concentrate on other things.

I am cleaning the filter daily until all algae is dead and gone.

I added some acid to bring the pH down some. Is it correct that I won't really know about the pH until my slam process is done?

Are there other factors besides low fc that contribute to algae problems?
I have plants on my deck and 4 dogs that lay around the deck most of the day. No they don't get in the pool so they aren't depositing urine which I assume is considered organic material. 3 grandchildren that get out when they have to go they like our ool and don't want any p in it.

Your test kit has been very helpful this winter. Once I get it balanced and kill off the algae I'm hoping it will be as easy to maintain as it was this winter but with the Florida sun and rainfall I'm not so sure.

This is my first pool ever. Thanks for the help this past fall when I acquired it and you all helped me figure out my air leaks.

You are correct that the pH test is not valid when FC > 10ppm. That is why the prerequisites in the SLAM process say to adjust the pH first.

Having the FC too low (as a function of your CYA) is the only reason that algae will get out of control.

I just started last night because my filter was green yesterday when I went to wash it. I didn't fix the ph first because I had no MA and the pool store had already closed. I wanted to get started on knocking out the algae.Each day the pool gets a few degrees warmer and the sun beats on it longer. Once I get the algae under control I'll fix the PH. As I said it was high all winter so I'm pretty sure it is truly high. I won't add anymore MA til I'm done SLAMming. I have no patience for these sorts of things so this is going to be tough for me. The tablets in the float seems so much easier but you guys say that actually leads to a higher expedature on chemicals right? Because it raises the CYA so much that you have to use more and more chlorine.

I'm learning but I'm stubborn and don't like change. Lol

It didn't get green and chunky in a day, it won't get clear in a day, either.

You're too high on FC now to trust pH readings or do anything about them, so you'll just have to keep dosing and brushing and deal with the rest of the chemistry once you've passed all three tests to stop the SLAM. Don't add any more acid.

Daily cleaning might not be often enough on your filter. Whenever the pressure rises 25%, it's time to clean it.

The pressure doesn't rise. I got a new gage and still it doesn't change. That's another puzzle I have to figure out.
And I just had to shut my pump off because its sounding different and seems to be quite warm. Its been running for almost 48 hours now and I know it has to run 24 hours a day until the slam is over, but if it burns up it can't run. Guess I'm going to have to try to go Wednesday my only day off this week and buy a new pump or motor.

Its not chunky either just slightly milky looking but the filter is light green when I pull it out.

Problem with waiting to adjust the PH is the Chlorine is more effective at a PH around 7.2. So I would actually suggest that you let the FC drop down to as close to 10 as you can, adjust the PH, then resume SLAMming the pool. CYA 40 your shock level is 16 so you're past your target, don't need to go that high... If you've been that high - the high PH is most certainly interfering.

- - - Updated - - -

I rarely see psi changes on gauges for cartridges. Flow from the return can indicate if cart is dirty and needs washing. Its a frustrating issue with carts, that the PSI doesn't change much.

Thanks so much for that info on cart filters. That is a HUGE help all by itself. I thought I was nuts or something was terribly wrong.
Tomorrow I work half a day so I will brush & vacuum when I get home. Then I will clean the filter and continue doing so every 2-3 hours until I run out of daylight. If my chlorine drops enough I will get the PH right and resume SLAMming.

Thanks a million!:wink:

Why is the time so off on this site? Anybody know? Is it hosted in another country? It's almost 22:00 or 10 pm and it's showing almost 2 am

Why is the time so off on this site? Anybody know? Is it hosted in another country? It's almost 22:00 or 10 pm and it's showing almost 2 am
Right below Pool School, there is a link for Settings. Click it.

On the right sidebar down low there is "My Settings." Then inside that is one titled General Settings. Open that and scroll down and pick your time zone and do you want to use Daylight Savings Time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How does your water look? Are you passing the OCLT yet? If not, you need to keep SLAM'ing the pool.

I have figured out why my pool lights don't work. There is some sort of gap that has developed allowing water into the niche which has caused a nasty rust stain beneath it and trips the breaker so no one gets electrocuted. I have two. Only one has been compromised but I can't seem to get it out of there so that I can see what kind it is for replacement. I'm finding pool lighting is quite expensive as well.
I found these neat little return line LED lights called flo light though. My local pinch a penny is where I found them. $37 there but I found them on eBay for $28. I'm eventually going to take care of the bad one but have no idea how to get it out. Any advice?

Yes. With something that critical to safety, you should call a well known professional with a good reputation to repair the lights. No question about it.

Since I cannot afford to outsource to a "professional" and my husband worked as an electrician the question is how do they come out. There are two little slots but putting a screw driver in them and trying to twist it out did not work what else might he try?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.