When do you replace your motor?

May 12, 2014
GA
Hello everyone,

I have an 18,000 gallon in ground pool. About a year ago I noticed we were running into problems with the motor shutting off from thermal overload. While running any water that falls onto the metal turns to steam so its pretty hot. Around the same time I noticed sometimes when it was cold out (32F) the pump would make a squealing sound when first turned on. If you shut it off for a second and turned it back on then it would disappear. Long story short today I was feeling around under the pump and I didn't notice any real air flow coming from the internal fan so I decided to open it up and see if the fan had broken. When I got the pump plates off this is what I found the face of the motor looks like. Should I just call it quits and replace the motor or is this normal wear?

2014-05-12 18.51.22.jpg

It sounds like the bearings are going so unless you want to replace them, it might be a good idea to replace the motor.

Thanks for looking at this. I didn't think it was normal but this is far out of my area of expertise. I hadn't even looked at getting a 2 speed pump but it looks like it could save a decent amount of money. I assume I would get the same horsepower and voltage? The charts I found all point to total gallons and head however I am unsure what the head distance would be since we didn't build the pool and don't have the original plans. The only vacuum we run is the normal one on a pole.

EDIT: Looking at this pump or this pump Does anyone see a problem with either?

2014-05-12 18.52.43.jpg

This would be 2 speed replacement: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/25300017074618.htm If you can give them the pump housing model number, they can help find the shaft seal.
Around $400
2ez-motor-round.jpg

No waterfall or spa's.

Final question, I noticed the plumbing connection is different on the two pumps. My existing pump (Like the 2600) has PVC threaded directly into it while it looks like the 2300 has a part that connects to the pipe then screws on so you could actually remove the pump. Is there any pro or con to having one of the other? It seems like it would be nicer to be able to remove the pump if needed.

I can't thank you guys enough for helping me with this. Now I just have to decide if we want to do the 2 speed motor replacement or an entire pump replacement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is much nicer to be able to remove components for servicing. Hopefully you don't need to but if something breaks it's so much nicer than having to cut something out. You should be able to fit a "union" to whatever you end up going with.

1.5union.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.