I don't THINK I need to SLAM but maybe you think I should help ?

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
I will try and give key details....

Had a mess cover and open to a super clear pool with a TON of silt on the floor.

SLAMMED right away, and passed all tests, yet left silt in bottom as I had some issues with my filter that needed addressed. Silt was a mix of construction dust and dirt over the winter coming in.

(filter issue was I was not able to filter fine dirt)

Still have a filter issue, but buddy offered his use of his robot - yeah - well, however all his robot did was stir up the dirt like crazy and now my pool has suspended dirt like mad...makes it look cloudy of course.

I have bleach injection, so chlorine never fell below standards....I still pass the Overnight loss test and the water is CLEAR and all numbers are good...just the suspended dirt makes it look cloudy.

SLOWLY I will get the dirt out, but will take forever (basically once it settles to ground I will have to filter manually to waste).

Is there ANY REASON I should consider SLAMMing again...really don't want to waste the $$ as now my CYA is up to 40 and will use a TON more bleach, etc. But I will if you all force me :)

Thanks!

I hesitate to suggest this and it might be a gamble that could cause unwanted problems but some clarifier and brushing (to keep everything suspended) MAY help. If you are very very sure what you're dealing with is dirt/sand/dust then it might work out (might). Noone here can suggest it as a fix (as apparently it is unpredictable, are some old threads if you do a search).

I use it a few times a year to catch very fine particles that can only be seen at night with the light on and it seems to do a good job.

Do Not try this until a more senior person comments (I'm responsable for what happens in my pool but not yours, if I break my pool that's on me :) )

Id like to add I'm trying to be helpful (but may be giving you bad advice) my pool is diffrent than yours and what works for me may not work for you (and might make your situation worse)

End caveats :)

Honestly I am thinking I need something else...until I win my battle with my PB, this stupid GLASS MEDIA just won't filter **** !

I continually pass the OCLT, yet my water is still not crystal. Nothing changed other than stirring up all the FINE DIRT.

I was thinking a flocculent might clump all this fine silt and allow me to vacuum to waste or at least clump it enough for my filter or that dang robot to grab ?

Any other advice...I guess for the heck of it I should post the relevant test from this AM.

FC - 5 - PM night before right after heavy bather load (well 45 minutes after)
FC 4.5 - AM
CC - less than .5
Ph 7.5
CYA - 30 ish

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wonder if DE could be added to a glass media filter. Is the glass the same consistency as a sand filter ?

I actually tried this last year (will try to find thread) abut the DE just blew right through....and there are NO CHANNELS in the media, just tore it apart and looks perfect...even "deep cleaned" it to see if there were buried channels.

- - - Updated - - -

Found my thread from last year...same issue.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/66647-Problem-with-DE-Blowing-through-Sand-Filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.