RayPak R406 Natural Gas Pool Heater Cuts Off

GLS

May 12, 2014
MD
I have a Raypak R406 Pool Heater that is fires up and starts heating for about 10 - 15 minutes then shuts down trying to start again. It shows CFH and SPK and you can hear it trying to light again but it doesn't. The pool guy said it was probably a PC Board since there were no codes displayed but I am just not confident with that. Water flow and pool level are good. Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks,

Its unusual, if a bad board, for the system to run for 10-15 minutes and then try to re light. If the board is at fault it usually does it with in a few seconds of lighting. You are sure on the 10-15 minutes?

Its unusual, if a bad board, for the system to run for 10-15 minutes and then try to re light. If the board is at fault it usually does it with in a few seconds of lighting. You are sure on the 10-15 minutes?

Paul
I agree with you on this as it unusual for a heater to run that long and shut down. However, I did have one doing that to me and it had me baffled for quite a while. It turns out that the board had to have the power input pins re-soldered. When the heater came on, it ran fine until the cabinet temp came up and warmed the board slightly. This caused the board to move just enough to break contact with the power to the board causing the burners to turn off. The blower fan would continue to run but the burners would not re-light until it was shut down and re-started. The hard part about finding the problem was when the top was off of the heater, it would run fine. As soon as the top went back on the darn thing would do it again. It was just dumb luck that I found the problem on that one. (and the fact that I did not want to spend $300 for a new board)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.