52" vs 54"... with young kids

bobct1

Apr 29, 2014
CT
I'm in the market for an AGP. I've am considering either the Sharkline Venture or the Matrix. I like that the Venture is 52" (because my kids are still pretty young), but I am not sure that I care for the wall. Seems a little bright white. I like the look of the Matrix, but that is only available in the 54". Does the 2" really make that much of a difference?

Are there any other pools that you'd recommend? I don't mind spending a little more to get a good quality pool. The main feature that I like about both pools above is the resin bottom rail. I have a a fairly wet area... so I think the resin would hold up better over time.

Thanks,
Bob-

Love my Venture! I think the wall is a lot nicer than the Matrix. And I'd go with the 54"wall because kids grow and you wouldn't let them swim by themselves anyway!

Get the 54". I've got young kids and my son can tippy toe to keep his mouth out of the water and my daughter would be under water if she had her feet on the bottom. They are excellent swimmers though, but an adult is always in with them or right near by.
Kids grow fast ! ?

I love my 54" wall. My last pool was a 48"wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are going with 52" plus a deep end (doughboy). Trying to keep everyone happy! Two of our kids are still on the smaller side as well, so we will be getting the wide steps for them to hang out on in the shallow end.

to those with small kids, you need Puddle Jumpers, then they wont be confined to the ladder. Best invention ever for kids. My 3 year old daughter jumps in and swims just like her big brothers do. They are also Coast Guard approved life vests and IMHO are safer and better for kids than a regular life vest because the child wont "up end" and can actually swim in a Puddle Jumper. Its very hard for kids to swim in a standard life vest. Puddle Jumpers are way more comfortable and not near as hot as a regular vest.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/34761240?...04497221&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=68494731781&veh=sem

Are you purchasing a ladder or a nice set of steps for the little ones? I've never regretted buying the wedding cake steps for my daughter when I bought our first pool. It was a nice place for her to play and rest while she was learning to swim.

was going with the a-frame type for now... possibly build a deck next year. Wife wanted the ladder in the pool so it wouldn't stick out much... but I think we are gonna go with the stairs. She was thinking about when she was a kid, running around her pool to make a whirlpool... the stairs would stick out too much. But I think it is going to be a number of years before our kids are doing that... and for the reasons mentioned above... the stairs are the better way to go.

We would do the whirl pool with the steps. It never impeded our whirl pool. :goodjob:

We went from an intex to a 54" I don't notice a huge difference with the 2" depth change. If you're going to worry about the kids 2" isn't going to be what makes you worry or not :) The matrix wall isn't bright, here's a link to our installation photos and finished pool, solar panels, wall, etc.

https://suzyabbott.shutterfly.com/22

One thing to be aware, the resin top rim is very soft and scrapes up very easily. If I had to do it again, I'd still do the Matrix, but be more careful of what comes in contact with the uprights/top rim. we're scratched from the water bottles holding the winter cover down. No one would notice except it's a brand new pool which is a bummer. Also note that because it's all resin it has a different bracket set up on the top rim, if you want a over the wall light or SWG it won't fit. We have our SWG separate from the filter system and we have it hanging on the top rail instead of under it.

For steps I recommend the Innovaplas majestic steps with the colored light kit. it's AWESOME!

We have a 1 1/2 HP pump, and when the pumps on high it is almost a lazy river. we typically filter for 6 hours every night on low and it makes a fine whirlpool with all the gunk in the center.

Other recommends: Rover Jr. robot vacuum. throw it in and it does its thing and you don't have to deal with cleaning the filter. Also the Solaxx Retro salt generator is great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.