Cleaning Pool Cover

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
Can anyone suggest a SAFE/MILD cleaner to use on my in ground pool cover to clean it prior to putting it away.

I need to lay the cover out on he lawn to clean it and I'm looking for something that won't harm the lawn when it drains through the mesh cover. I've seen pool cover cleaning agents at the pool store and Wal Mart but they seem pretty caustic from reading some of the Ingredients.

Im wondering - should I just clean it when it's on the pool? And if so - with what?? I hate to put anything I don't need to in the water. Maybe use some diluted bleach and water? The cover is black though and I'm concerned it may affect the color.

Thanks!
Dan

Hey Dan. I have a solid cover for my above ground pool and to be honest with you, I will squirt a dab of Dawn with bleach in a bucket of hot water and take a broom and scrub the cover and then spray it off and leave it dry. I don't use a lot of soap, just enough to get the water soapy.

I've had good luck with this: Natural Chemistry Spray-On Cover Cleaner http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Natural-Chemistry-Spray-On-Cover-Cleaner-5899.html

Can anyone suggest a SAFE/MILD cleaner to use on my in ground pool cover to clean it prior to putting it away.

I need to lay the cover out on he lawn to clean it and I'm looking for something that won't harm the lawn when it drains through the mesh cover. I've seen pool cover cleaning agents at the pool store and Wal Mart but they seem pretty caustic from reading some of the Ingredients.

Im wondering - should I just clean it when it's on the pool? And if so - with what?? I hate to put anything I don't need to in the water. Maybe use some diluted bleach and water? The cover is black though and I'm concerned it may affect the color.

Thanks!
Dan

I've got a mesh safety cover and I use my pressure washer with a fan tip. I just turn it down to a pressure that's just high enough to clean the crud (mostly pollen) off the cover but not high enough to damage the cover. It cleans it very well and WAY quicker than doing it by hand. Plus you're just using water so you don't have to worry about damaging the grass. Just make sure you don't turn the pressure up too high or you can really damage the cover. Start at the lowest setting and keep turning it up slowly until it cleans the cover. Start in the middle and work your way to the perimeter unless you can lay it out on a hill, then start from the top and work your way down.

If you don't have a pressure washer, the method above is tried and true.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.