Scranton, PA Solar Recommendations

May 12, 2014
United States
Hello, this is my first post so sorry in advance. I have had my pool for 6 years and now realize I need solar heat. My surface area is 1,062sf and 40,000 gal. It's a kidney shaped so a solar cover is not an option for me (although I do use a chemical). I have researched the options and I see (3); flat plastic, vacuum tube and gobi collectors. Has anyone used these in a climate similar to mine? My garage roof (where I plan to mount) is south/west facing and unshaded till about 6:00pm. Not alot of wind. Any help I could get or a direction to search would be greatly appreciated. My wife and children would like the pool between 80 and 85 if possible. Thanks for your help.

My climate is a bit warmer than yours, but when it comes to solar panel selection a lot depends on what your goals are, are you looking to just make the water warmer in your current swim season due to having a shaded pool, do you want to extend your season slightly, or do you want to swim while the snow falls outside. For most people in the U.S. the flat plastic style panels are best, as they are not only the cheapest, but can transfer nearly twice as many BTU's per sq ft as an evacuated tube style panel if the temperature differential is less than about 20 degrees. This makes the flat plastic panel type particularly well suited for those days with highs in the 70's and 80's and nights in the 50's are warmer.

Ike

Solar Attic is also an option, which I chose. I am by Syracuse, N.Y, a few hours north of you.

Basically a giant radiator and fan which transfers attic heat into the pool.

Opened pool three weeks ago at 45 degrees, and hit 75 today. The attic space above my garage is ideal for it, although I would not recommend it for everyone.

This will be the first full season with it, but I expect we will maintain high 80's for most the season, using a cover most nights.

uploadfromtaptalk1399948204414.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

A 40k pool is going to need a lot of heat. I do believe vacuum tubes for that would cost a fortune. Have you run the numbers? That my be a quick way to simplify your choices.

Vacuum tubes and gobi panels sound nice, but when i ran the numbers for myself last year, the spreadsheets never led a smart decision for own pool.

The plastic panels, with as close to the surface area of the pool possible, is your most realistic choice.

GOBI or vacuum tubes are going to be hugely expensive to get enough panels to generate enough heat to get large lift. They are both ideal for heating small volumes of water to high temperature quickly (think your hot water tank for house), instead of a large amount of water a modest amount.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.