Hard Foam Insullation

Apr 9, 2014
FOUR cORNERS
Hi Forum readers, I started to level back yard and install our intex pool(14 foot with 14" sand filter 3/4 h/p motor, more than enough for what we need, it really keep pool clean, I don't know where to add this to my signature yet but I will figure it out) properly after finding this sight (TFP) and seeing so many of your wonderful ideas, hard plumbing, I would have never of thought that this was possible,adding a through wall skimmer, cool. For years now we put up and take down put up and take down, you get the picture. Anyway, we've been taking pictures and I hope to put our project from beginning to end here, My question is I have really sandy soil which I think is good, I'm building a box frame around pool 14'6", we are going to put a layer of pea gravel then clean sand, gorilla pad and hard foam insulation, is that over kill for an intex? any comment would appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to TFP.....No its not over kill for an intex... I'm doing pretty much the same thing.... One of the most important factors of a great above ground pool, is what's underneath it... You're giving the pool an excellent foundation, but you could probably loose the gorilla pad if you're using hard foam insulation... Don't use duct tape to tape the foam together, triple tape the seams with aluminium tape (that's what its called in Australia ...lol.. ) or something equivalent.... :) Enjoy building your pool, and make sure you order a test kit.... Perfect water needs to be tested and looked after like a pet... :)

Triple taping with Gorilla Tape is what has been suggested on here. I believe someone suggested water proof tape. I'm thinking that Gorilla Tape is water proof, suppose it'd be good idea to check the label.

I would tell you duct tape is duct tape particularly when you will have a ton or so of water on top of it.....not much of any possibility of movement there.

I agree with the pad not needed. Perhaps if you are going to continue to take the pool down every season it would help keep the foam boards cleaner if you put the pad under the foam. I wouldn't bother.

Are you still planning on taking the pool down seasonally? If so you could still hard plumb and just put a few "unions" here and there to aid in that. The hard plumb made a world of difference on my Intex.

May I recommend that if you are going through all the work of making a base for your pool that you may want a tarp (or something) to cover the exposed outside areas from washing away or being disturbed by heavy rainfalls (don't ask why, I think you already know why I am saying this...).

Bob E.

I'm putting up a new AGP this spring and spoke with someone at the manufacturer - I asked him about using rigid foam instead of sand and he said it's a great idea. He recommended a gorilla pad on top of the foam, but his main reason was that with the weight of the water on the liner, you'll notice the seams, so his recommendation was really just to smooth out the bottom; not for technical reasons.

Anyone know... when putting down the hard foam insulation... does it need to be level with the bottom rails? I am thinking that when the area is leveled, bottom rail and wall assembled... then the sand is levelled and tamped... you are just above the bottom rail. Adding the insulation will raise that bottom an additional 3/4". Will that make a difference? or am I just over thinking this?

I had my pool installed a few weeks ago. I have yet to get in the pool but can say it looks very smooth except for a few wrinkles and a few gaps. The gaps concern me but from other responses should not be a concern. The installers installed the foam before wall. I am sure this made for cutting to be easier. They then had to rework the wall as the skimmer was outta place. I believe that was to much direct weight and pressure on the foam. There was bno sand used. They leveled the area and then compacted. I would however recommend cutting your foam before wall but do not tape in place until after the wall was installed.

Why the pea gravel? Excavate down to the lowest point, you're already on sandy soil, lay down the EPS foam and the "tarp" that comes with the Intex. The feet of my pool legs sit on top of the EPS, with the help of some 6"x6" ceramic tiles. No problems. And yes to the Gorilla Tape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.