where to start in search for new VS pump?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
My current pump is making tons of noise and is probably on the verge of failure and since it sits so close to the pool I figure a quieter one will be much more enjoyable while swimming or sitting outside. Per my signature I've currently got two identical 1HP Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II pumps (one running 2 waterfalls and the other as the main pool pump). I've also got a Polaris 280 running on a dedicated aux pump. I'm looking to replace the main pool pump with a variable speed pump, but am a bit lost when I get into the weeds of the different models/features, etc. I haven't been able to find a good source that does side by side comparisons into the details.

I also get a $200 rebate if I buy one of the following pumps:

http://www.roseville.ca.us/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=27450

With my pool size at 12,000-14,000 gallons (still trying to get that tuned in) what should I buy? I'm most confused about a lot of the controllers, etc. since my current pump is pretty straightforward, i.e. wired into the control box with the manual clock style timers. I also see a lot of detail on pipe circumference to determine rate of flow, etc. Does most of that come into play when setting up/configuring the pump or important pre-purchase? Below is a picture of my current setup for reference.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 88
You have two main choices: a 3 HP very flexible permanent magnet motor variable speed, like the IntelliFlo or EcoStar. Or a smaller 1.5 HP conventional motor variable speed like the Hayward Max-Flo VS. The permanent magnet motor is just slightly more efficient, but the smaller pump is much less money up front. If your electric rates are astronomical, say $0.40/kWh or higher, the larger pump might be justified, the larger pump also integrates will with automation systems, while the smaller one does not.

Thanks for the information. My rates aren't bad for CA, $0.10 for first 500kW and $0.15 for everything after 500. What is the best way to sort through the different IntelliFlo models? Or is there only 1-2 current models in production that I should be comparing? I see:

Pentair INP-VS
Pentair INT-VS
Pentair IntelliFlo i1
Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed
Pentair IntelliFlo VF
Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050
Pentair IntelliFlo VS+SVRS

From the various IntelliFlo models, I recommend the Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed. That is the modern version of the VS 3050 which has added a fancy timer.

You only want SVRS if you have to have it. The VF is cool tech, but not worth the extra money. The i1 has an artificial limitation to 1 HP to meet code requirements in a few areas that presumably don't apply. And so on.

Great, thanks. I was considering DIY, but looks like only a 60 day warranty... which is strange because I thought all U.S. products mandated a minimum 1 year warranty? While I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, they do a 3 year if put in by a Qualified Installer. If I can get the pump for ~$900.00 on my own, maybe another ~$50 in parts, any thoughts on where I would roughly end up with a Qualified Installer doing it (assuming limited plumbing re-work and current electrical good to go)? I'm just curious as this is my first go into the pool world and not sure if I should expect a 5% markup or 25% when I start shopping around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.