frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
So just wanted to share this - it's come up relatively often - the issue of 'does liquid chlorine aka bleach, cause your liner to fade'. The consensus has been no. I think I discovered a sort of "evidence" of this in my 13 year old pool.

Has my liner faded? Yes. I've used liquid as my primary chlorine source for 7 years now. However, the fading was there prior to the switch. What I discovered is under the ladder pad, I can still make out the pattern - so this would suggest to me the sun is the culprit - if it were caused by the use of liquid the liner pattern under the ladder pad would also have faded, wouldn't you agree?

Take a look (ignore the dirt, pre-vaccum...)

20140511_083859-1 by poolmom11, on Flickr

Hard to say about the sun. To my knowledge, pigmentation fades off of a surface from being exposed to UV rays. UV rays do not penetrate water so I don't think the sun would be the culprit on anything submerged.

I kinda see the pattern on the side of the wall too. What do you say to heavy traffic over a number of years (13) in a well maintained pool for 7 of those years? Maybe the ink just wore off to the traffic of a busy pool that children have used all summer every summer along with chemical maintenance? These liners aren't made to last forever...

Not made to last forever? You're saying I'm pushing my luck? LOL frankly I'm surprised it's lasted these last couple years.

I see what your saying, hadn't thought about that. The pattern is more visible on the wall. Funny where the pattern is above the water line is not faded at all despite being exposed to the UV rays. So can it be from heavy traffic? I noticed in a clients pool that has a suction side auto vac their liner pattern seems more faded where the floor meets the wall, like an area that the vac repeatedly goes over... that could be fading the liner?

You're pushing your luck! :mrgreen: Time for a new one!!! lol

My liner has 30 mil walls and 20 mil floor and the floor has faded more than the walls. It can really be seen at the joint where the two different sized materials were fused together. One might think that it was the different orientation but one of the walls goes onto the floor for about 6 inches and has not faded nearly as much. Who would have guessed that the print would fade differently based on the vinyl thickness?

very interesting reading. and it sparks a question:

CYAs primary function is to protect chlorine from UV rays. So, would a higher CYA level in a pool help protect the liner as well from UV rays?

I know running a high CYA level in an attempt to protect the liner would not be a logical idea, but for curiousity sake....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.