Removing print/ink from PVC pipe

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
I'm re-plumbing my PVC filter & pump this year with all new PVC. The lengths of straight PVC I bought from Home Depot are covered with red printing from the manufacturer as well as the bar code from Home Depot.

Anyway to remove this printing from the pipe??

Yeah, I'm pretty particular.

Thanks!
Dan

While the surface does seem to "chalk" a little bit, I have used some 10 year old pvc that seems to be unaffected by UV. I'm not sure UV has much influence on pvc pipe.

Functionally, I doubt it is much of an issue at pool pressures. When I reworked my pool plumbing, I could tell the difference in the way the "old" pipe cut compared to the new. I don't worry about what is above ground, but I wouldn't bury pipe that had been exposed to UV for years. Mostly because I don't see the savings on pipe being worth the risk of having to dig.

I agree with Hawk, when I replaced my solar heat plumbing last year I was shocked at how poor of condition the old PVC pipe was in, extremely brittle, glue joints that would pull apart, etc. Much of that old PVC pipe had never been painted and had been exposed to UV outdoors for over 20 years.

Well, we are certainly hi-jacking the thread a bit but it is an interesting topic...I found this.
Testing and past field experience studies have concluded that when conventional Type I, Grade I (Cell Class 12454) rigid PVC pipe is exposed to UV radiation from sunlight the following conditions have been noted.
- The effects of exposure to UV radiation results in a color change to the product, slight increase in tensile strength, slight increase in modulus of elasticity, and a slight decrease in impact strength.
- UV degradation occurs only in the plastic material directly exposed to UV radiation and to extremely shallow penetration depths (frequently less the 0.01”).
- UV degradation does not continue when exposure to UV is terminated.
- UV radiation will not penetrate even thin shields such as paint coatings, clothing, or wrapping.
Based on these studies, Harvel Plastic, Inc. recommends that PVC and CPVC piping products (i.e. pipe, duct, & shapes) exposed to the direct effects of UV radiation be painted with a light colored acrylic or latex paint that is chemically compatible with the PVC/CPVC products. Compatibility information should be confirmed with the paint manufacturer. The use of oil based paints is not recommended.

When painting the effects of exposure to sunlight are significantly reduced, however, consideration should be given to the effects of expansion/contraction of the system caused by heat absorption in outdoor applications. The use of light colored, reflective paint coating will reduce this affect, however, the system must also be designed and installed in such a manner to reduce the effects of movement due to thermal expansion.

It should be noted that Harvel’s standard formulation of PVC compound (H707) used in the manufacture of our rigid pipe contains 1-1/2% titanium dioxide (Ti02), a natural UV inhibitor. Harvel’s Corzan compounds used in the manufacture of rigid CPVC pipe contains at least 2% Titanium Dioxide (Ti02). Harvel’s Clear PVC piping products do not contain UV inhibitors and should not be exposed to UV radiation.
I found some other stuff that indicated it's not much of an influence at all but I think those studies only went out a couple of years......not nearly as long as we are talking about. JohnT suggestion not to bury really old pipe is likely a good one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.