Is 1 gallon at a time to much MA to add at once ?

Oct 25, 2007
Trying to get my TA down from 150 to around 60 or 70 and have added a gallon of acid the last 6 days and it will drop down but then go back up for some reason ,not sure why, im trying to get the ph down and aerate to get the ta down but it just seems to keep going back up. Anyways im turning the pump on recirc and adding a gallon at a time each morning but wondering if thats to much to add at once, my pools pretty decent sized 28-30,000 gallons with a pebbletec finish. Whats your take ? Thanks also would alot of natural rocks set in the pool change the chemical balance by chance ? thanks

The amount of acid to add is dependent upon how high your PH is AND how high your TA is. In order to get your TA down, you need to lower your PH to 7.0-7.2 and aerate to bring it back up. You can use JasonLion's Pool Calculator to determine exactly how much acid this is. Be very careful to not lower your PH below 7.0.

If you haven't seen it, the Lowering Total Alkalinity pool school posting is very helpful.

I'm no expert, but I can't imagine a reason for rocks to change the chem balance. Perhaps someone else can speak to that.

Yes, what robrinker said. The crucial thing is the PH level, not the particular quantity of acid involved. You need to use the correct amount of acid to reach the desired PH. If you take the PH down too far you could damage the plaster and the stone work.

tillys26 said:
Trying to get my TA down from 150 to around 60 or 70 and have added a gallon of acid the last 6 days and it will drop down but then go back up for some reason ,not sure why, im trying to get the ph down and aerate to get the ta down but it just seems to keep going back up. Anyways im turning the pump on recirc and adding a gallon at a time each morning but wondering if thats to much to add at once, my pools pretty decent sized 28-30,000 gallons with a pebbletec finish. Whats your take ? Thanks also would alot of natural rocks set in the pool change the chemical balance by chance ? thanks

I too have natural stone (limestone waterfall in my case) & pebbletec. When I started, my alkalinity was in excess of 250. I'm wondering if it wasn't from the stonework as recent rains & my fill water isn't nearly as high. I followed the advice of the aforementioned links adding about 1/2 - 3/4 gallon of acid at a time to get pH about 7.2 & running the waterfall 10-12 hours per day. It took a few days but my alkalinity has since been steady at 80-100. I went through about 4 gallons of acid before it was done.

Borate & a couple of bags of solar salt added since and now :-D thanks to the advice of this forum & the BBB method :-D , just a few cups of acid every few days and about 1/2 gallon of 12.5% chlorine per day & the water looks awesome with near-perfect chemical balance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.