Solar Covers

Hello everyone.
I am a new pool owner.. I have an above ground 18ft round pool... It came with a blue pool cover, but I am not sure if its a solar cover. I will not be using a heater, so I would love to hear opinions on the best solar cover... Some other sites say clear, some say blue/silver ect.. So I am confused... I realize one may heat it up better and one may be better suited for keeping the heat in thru the night.. Thanks in advanced for all your thoughts on this..:cool:

Welcome to TFP !
If the cover is blue and has the bubbles on one side it's a solar cover.

I don't think color really matters. Maybe a clear one would let more of the suns rays thru for some heating of the very top layer of the water. When my cover is on the top layer 5-6 inches is warmer than say foot below the surface.
What they do best is retain the heat you would lose overnight without one. For that purpose color would not matter at all.
You will get your best heating with the cover off and your water exposed to the sun providing its a nice warm day without a lot of wind.
This is my experience with mine it's 12 mil clear. ?

The interesting thing about solar covers is that they work not by actively heating the water, but by preventing evaporation. It's just like when you are hot and you sweat. You're body cools you down by causing sweat on your skin, which evaporates and cools you down. The same thing happens in a pool. Without a cover, the water evaporates and causes the temperature to drop.

A lot of people think the little air-filled bubbles are required for heating purposes. They are not. They only function to keep the cover floating on top of the water. The only thing you need for a solar cover is something to prevent water from evaporating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.