Hayward 400IDL2 Heater Problem - Error Code "bd"

May 11, 2014
Temecula, CA
Like many others, I too experienced the Hayward "ce" error on my heater. Two circuit boards each had a burnt 330 ohm resistor, R15 on the Display board, and R45 on the Integrated Control board. Being a life-long tinkerer, I replaced the resistors and attempted to use the boards again. They did not work. Most likely another component failed causing the resistors to burn up. Anyway . . . I did what everyone usually does when they get a CE error. I purchased both boards and replaced them at the same time. When I turned the heater on, the display 'standby" LED came on and the blower came on for 20 seconds. So far so good. Then the "service" LED came on and error code "bd" displayed. I followed the Hayward troubleshooting guide and had the proper voltages on the fuse block and at the Control board. Per Hayward, if everything else checks out, replace the control board. Since the control and display boards are brand new, I'm not inclined to buy another one yet.

Has anyone experienced a "bd" error code, and if so, what did it take to fix it.

Thanks

Craig

Do both boards still look ok? Everything plugged in correctly? Is the fuse, FC4, blown on the fuse board?

You could have a bad wiring harness. Did you use all of the parts that came with the new boards? I know the ICB board comes with a new plug and a new air pressure switch.

Re: Hayward 400IDL2 Heater Problem - Error Code "bd"

Do both boards still look ok? Everything plugged in correctly? Is the fuse, FC4, blown on the fuse board?

You could have a bad wiring harness. Did you use all of the parts that came with the new boards? I know the ICB board comes with a new plug and a new air pressure switch.

Both boards look fine. I did check the fuses on the fuse block and also checked for 120v on the fuse board and to the ICB via the harness. The blower does come on for 20 sec whenever I start the heater, so that is telling me the ICB has 120v that it is sending to the blower via a board relay. I did replace the pressure switch, but I did not replace (or use) the wire harness that came with the kit. I couldn't figure out how to get to the blower. I would guess the top of the heater needs to come off but I couldn't find the fasteners that hold it on.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the error code appears and the service light comes on when the blower shuts off. Pressing the mode or temp buttons has no effect.

I just realized this is an IDL2 unit. I guess I need to wear my reading glasses more often. Are you sure you got the correct boards? You can't use the boards for the Universal FD unit on this model.

I ordered and installed a new ICB, specifically for an H400IDL2 series heater. Now when I turn on the heater, there is no error code, but the display indicates it is in pool mode. Pressing the mode switch has no effect. If I set the temp higher than the pool temp, the heater comes on and works successfully. When the pool (spa) heats up to the set temperature, the heater shuts off. So the heater seems to work fine now, but it appears that there is a problem with the keyboard. I pulled the keyboard and measured the resistance at the plug on the end of the ribbon cable. Without depressing any buttons, the resistance was infinite between any combination of the 4 pins. Depressing a button produced a resistance of 19 - 22 ohms on 2 of the pins. Each button pressed showed a similar resistance but on a different pin pair. With this test, i'm pretty confident that the keyboard, ribbon cable, and connector are ok. What causes the heater to start up normally in standby mode? Is there a reset function available? My son is in the army and will be here next week, for a week, and we will be meeting his girlfriend. At least I can get the heater working, but it would be better if I can get it working normally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.