Evaporation Or A Slow Leak?

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
It is also possible I have a faulty .memory. I am pretty sure I only drained the pool last fall to just below the skimmer. The return was still in the water, so I rigged up a snorkel for it. Anyway, when I took the cover off today the water level was just at the bottom of the return. So, do I have a leak somewhere? Or will that much water evaporate, even under the winter cover? It did get much colder (like single digits) then it normally gets here. I am also considering that ice damaged the liner.

There is some evaporation even with a cover, but it should minimal to unmeasurable. If you really did close with the water above the returns, chances are there is a slow leak around the return fitting. If the leak was lower down it would have drained more water over the winter, if it was higher up the pool would not have drained that low.

Ice has a habit of disappearing in single digit temperatures, but I don't think you would be able to lose several inches of water from that alone.

The liner may have a few pinholes in it from the ice, check all along the current waterline for anything that looks suspicious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.