Leslie's Pools says they cannot help me so I came here.

chemmy

May 11, 2014
United States
I have a 18' x 48" Bestway (generic Intex) metal frame AG pool. I use an Intex pump & SWG with it. Used a mesh leaf cover all winter, which worked brilliantly.

However, after pollen season here and some bad storms, the water went from blue to green and I have not been able to remedy it. I am ordering the chemical test set recommended on here because the one Leslie's sold me last year only tests chlorine & pH levels.

Here's my issue: water was green and test showed no chlorine so I added 1 lb of shock (which has been what they had me do in the past). Ran filter for 24 hours (without chlorine generator), still green. They had me add another 1 lb, still green (and cloudy).

So Sunday, I went to Leslie's for a full water work-up. 1st they told me they can no longer analyze my water because they are showing chlorine is over 10 and because of that, none of the other tests will work. They told me to get rid of the extra chlorine and they can only run a water analysis then.

The guy then asks me if I have a vacuum (I do, but it doesn't fit the new pump so I'll have to buy one). He tries to sell me a $300 battery-operated one and says that they do not sell or support anything Intex (meanwhile, they have 2 Intex pools on display...).

Then, I mention that this process is usually easier since we switched to saltwater 2 years ago. He told me that was never noted in their system and they only support full-size saltwater pools and that their water analysis readings cannot handle the salt levels used in Intex pools. He tells me good luck, but that they cannot help me.

I call BS. When I had a "regular" chlorine Bestway pool, they were more than happy to sell me $500 of chemicals at a pop. Now that I can use $50 of salt every year and a minimal amount of everything else, they suddenly cannot help me.

So long story short: threw away the Intex skimmer because it kept airlocking the pump and was a POS. I will have to figure out a solution to that AFTER I fix the water.

Drained the pool down to the pump outlets (which helped skim it anyway) and got the schmutz off of the bottom with the hand skimmer. Filled it up ONLY to the top of the highest inlet and the pump is running. (My plan is if I can't fix this by the weekend, I'll drain it and start completely over and actually level the thing too since DH installed it like 6" out of level).

No pics at the moment because it's dark out but I'll post one tomorrow. Any ideas where to begin and how to plan forward would be a huge help since Leslie's Pools abandoned me... I"m in GA so I'm hoping at the moment that the added water + hot sun will burn off excess chlorine... I am also reading up on Pool School - but bear with me because I also have a huge physics test Tuesday so I'm sorta busy with that too!

Bestway 18' x 48"
Intex SWG pump: System flow rate of 1,650 GPH; pump flow rate of 2,000 GPH
pH around 6.8 - 7.0
chlorine above 10

Hi there and welcome to TFP.... :)

Do not be discouraged by the colour of your pool its totally fixable.... :) Once you get your test kit, you can post your results and the mods will be forthcoming with great advice.... :) Firstly you need to read pool school and get familiar with it, you really want to read the part about SLAMming your pool... This is the process that will get your pool clean..... You really can't do anything until you test the water, and then you can start using the pool math calculator and it will tell you what you need to add.... :) In the meantime, you can start raking your pool and removing and solids like leaves and, have you got a good pool net? This will help you on your way... :)

Welcome to TFP!

Invest in one of the recommended test kits and we can help get that cleared up and maintained for significantly less than all the garbage they would have sold you.

Welcome, your water is fixable. Now might be a good time to fix your uneven pool,before pool season kicks into high gear. Stick around here and you won't need a pool store.Do yourself a favor get a good FAS-DPD test kit.(they are worth every penny)

Well Chemmy, you certainly came to the right place.

As others mention, your pool is fixable. You have ordered the test kit and are reading pool school. That't awesome! you are on your way.
While waiting for your test kit, there are a couple of things you can do in advance to get ready.
1. As Lacey mentioned, scoop out all the nasties in your pool that you can with a net. You are going to have to do it anyways.
2. Buy a bunch of bleach. I mean a bunch of it. 10 gallsons to start and you may well need more than that. Look for regular old bleach without any of the fancy scents or any of that stuff. You want to get the highest concentration you can get. Usually you can get 8.25% at walmart or any other discount store. Bleach will be your friend in clearing up your pool.

Once your test kit arrives, test your water and post all of the test results here. The experts here can easily analyze the results and help you out. And guess what? I bet ya a dollar, that no one tries to sell you not one thing or ask anything in return for the help (except follow their advice and dont deviate) !

And the last thing but certainly not the least.... Dont worry anymore, its all gonna be just fine.

Unfortunately, I'd have to drain it completely to fully level it. I know it's best to be level and it's worse now (approx 7") then when I installed it (approx 5") because of the legs sinking slightly on one side. While I debate if I want to do that, I'll order the test kit and see what we're dealing with. I'll also see what kind of bleach I can come up with (chemistry teacher, so I can usually access really concentrated stuff).

7" out of level is just not safe at all. You need to fix that now before the pool collapses, which will ruin the pool, and possibly cause property damage and/or injure someone.

7" is just unacceptable. I would urge you to take the pool down and fix it before giving you more advice on clearing your water. I'd dump all of it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, welcome to TFP! Draining to level the pool will also take care of the current water problem, so don't pour a bunch of bleach in there when you have to drain anyway. We will teach you how to set the pool up properly and how to manage the chemistry so that you are in control of your pool. Having the pool on firm, level ground is most important. Dig down the high side to level, don't try to build up the low side. Eventually the weight of the pool will compact the fill dirt and the pool will be off level again.

I really wanted to, but my husband said he doesn't want to do it until next year (****, the thing has been like this for like 3 years now). IDK what to do anymore. He is insisting it be ready for this holiday weekend so he can use it. We are the only two using it - I don't let people use it partially because I'm antisocial and also partly because I don't think it's super safe.

I did test the water. It's still greenish and cloudy.

FC 7.5ppm
CC 0
TC 7.5
CH 150
TA 20
CYA 30
pH 6.8

What test kit are you using?

You need to follow the SLAM Process to clear it up, and the likelihood of completely that by this weekend is very low.

If he MUST have it now, then you will have to drain it, clean it, refill it, and balance it. But if you are draining, then you should level it correctly.

another thought if you have a Intex Knock-Off like the ultra-Frame pools, go get yourself some of the 1'x1' bricks from either Home Depot/Lowes/Menards etc, and place that under each leg, will give a solid surface for your legs and possibly prevent the sinking issue you are having. Don't give up, the gang here at TFP is a great group, we can help you get your pool crystal clear and enjoyable, and put YOU in charge of your pool, and not the other way around.

It is the TF-100 test kit I'm using.

I did test the water. It's still greenish and cloudy.

FC 7.5ppm
CC 0
TC 7.5
CH 150
TA 20
CYA 30
pH 6.8

Going to get some bleach at WalMart tonight along with a proper vacuum (my current one vacuums directly to the filter, which pretty much instantly clogs it).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.