Grout Efflorescence in Several Areas

tim5055

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
I have Grout Efflorescence occurring in several areas of the tile wall (above the water line). It only occures on the "higher" side of the pool. The lot has a heavy slope and one wall of the pool is higher, holding back this area. It appears that ground water is leaching thru the tile/grout causing Efflorescence in several areas.

Here are a few photos, a wide and 2 close ups

pool3.jpg

pool4.jpg

pool5.jpg

I have scrubbed one of them using white vinegar, a wire brush and a stiff putty knife. With work I can get it off. I saw another post on the forum that referenced this Purity Pool OS Out Spot Stain Remover and am thinking that the muratic acid will clean more than the vinegar.

Solutions?

Thoughts?

The only permanent solution is either to waterproof the other side of the way or to install a french drain so water doesn't get to the other side of the wall. Waterproofing is pretty much out of the question at this point, as that would involve tearing up the deck. Putting in a french drain is possible, but will be fairly expensive.

Muriatic acid diluted four parts water to one part acid should be far more effective at cleaning the surface than vinegar.

Thanks Jason,

Muratic acid did the trick. As i talked about I picked up a Purity Pool OS Out Spot Stain Remover from Amazon and every time my pool needed acid I loaded it and wiped acid on the spots.

Here are a couple of photos showing the previous areas

pool7.jpg

pool8.jpg

You cant use the Spot Stain Remover to scrub, just to apply the muratic acid. I applied it and let it do its work for a few minutes and washed it off to keep it from removing the grout. Time and patience are winning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.