pool heater relief valve leaking

May 11, 2014
Marriottsville, MD
Hi, I'm new to the forums here. I have an ancient Anthony Citadel III LP pool heater and the relief valve has been leaking. I'd like to replace it, but I'm not sure exactly what valve to get. There is a tag on the existing valve but it is hard to read. The main thing I'm unable to read for sure is the pressure rating. It is a Zurn P1000A 200000 BTU/Hr rating, but the pressure rating I can only read the last two digits of 50 (psi). It might be just 50 psi or it might be 150 psi (there are scratches on the tag). I've found a matching Zurn model on the internet with the same BTU rating that comes in various pressure ratings, but not 50 psi, though it does have 150 psi. On a plaque on the inside of the heater it says "working pressure 50 psi" and "hydro test 150 psi" just to make things more confusing. Anybody have any thoughts on the right valve or what the consequences would be of getting the wrong valve? Thanks for reading.
-Larry

Hi Smykowski,
Thanks for the interest. I have attempted to post photos here. If they come out, you can see the tag and panel pretty clearly. Actually, the photo looks almost clearer than I could see with my eye. I would bet on 50 psi, though it still looks like there could have been a number next to the 5. I also noticed that the output BTU is 285000 but the valve is only rated to 200000. Not sure if that's an issue. I was guessing it was the original valve but it's also possible the previous owner replaced it.
-Larry
Heater2.jpg
ValveTag.jpg
DataPanel.jpg

That looks like a standard household water heater relief valve. Some idiot probably tried to test it like they recommend you do annually, and it didn't seat right, because they never do once you disturb them. You can probably just unscrew it (pump off, of course) and take it to the local hardware store and pick up a replacement.

Rumor has it that smacking the stem with a mallet once will seat the valve and stop the drip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.