Advice needed for skimmer(s), jets & light layout for a 20X44 vinyl inground pool.

CHP

May 8, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Advice needed for skimmer(s), jets & light layout for a 20X44 vinyl inground pool.

Hello everyone, we are in the process of obtaining bids for a 20X44 inground vinyl lined pool with an 8' depth in the deep end. The bids so far average $65-70,000.00 (for pool & install only, no landscaping or hardscaping); we live in Ontario, Canada and need to add 13% tax on top of that (ouch! is right). The lower bids are for a Hayward built pool, the higher is for a Fox built pool.

What we have decided on is to have a diving board, an 8' swim out in the deep end, a set of 8' straight walk-out steps in shallow end, a SWG, a VS pump, a cartridge filter, and a heat pump.

We realize we have a "small window" as to where we can keep costs down, and right now I would like to focus on intake & returns (skimmers and jets) & lighting. I would appreciate advice on where to place the skimmer(s), and returns. Please note that our wind pattern in usually blowing fom the west to the east, and we live in a rural area so the winds can be quite strong at times, and there is an oak and an apple tree situated off the north/east deck area. I've attached a preliminary drawing of the pool's layout. There will be two main drains in the floor of the deep end. Would one skimmer on the east end be sufficient? And what about returns? Would 3 be enough?

As for lighting, we are thinking going with either 2 incandescent/halogen lights, or 4 LEDs. We are leaning towards the incadescent/halogen just for the fact that they let off more light, and we probably wouln't use the "light show" offered by coloured LEDs much (colour-blindness runs in the family, so fancy coloured lighting is not a selling point). And we figure 2 incandescent/halogen lights will keep costs lower than 4 LED lights.

And any thoughts on which size of cartridge filter we will need?

Thanks for your help! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

pool layout1.jpg

Re: Advice needed for skimmer(s), jets & light layout for a 20X44 vinyl inground pool

One skimmer and one return is enough, but two skimmers and either three or more returns are preferred/worth getting these days. I'd stick with three returns unless you want extra returns dedicated to the steps to keep the steps clean. Returns for the steps are kind of nice but hardly required.

I recommend getting the largest filter you can afford and have space for. A larger filter can go longer between cleanings and is also just slightly more energy efficient.

Re: Advice needed for skimmer(s), jets & light layout for a 20X44 vinyl inground pool

Thanks for your advice! As for the "where" the skimmer should be placed, do you think the east shallow side is best? The wind will blow in that direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.