Piping the filter instead of running hoses

BK

Jul 2, 2008
I've been getting around a bit more lately, reading and learning about pool maintenance.

I have stumbled across, on several occasions, filters that are plumbed in, rather than just running hoses, they have plastic plumbing PVC pipe.

I like is as it is pretty snazzy and will probably go ahead and do it ... maybe next year.

But the question is ... is there an advantage to it, or disadvantage to it?

We have a combination. Mainly because we still have the original hoses, so when they go maybe we'll make a change? Our heater pipes are pvc in and out, connected to hose before the return. We have hoses going from the pool to the filter/pump.

I'm not sure all PVC is a good idea where it freezes, cause how do you winterize? WE remove everything except the heater and it's pvc pipes and all else goes in the shed. THe pvc is capped to prevent critters. Looks odd in the winter, I have to say.

We had our liner changed this year and our plumbing was PVC. When they went to break the plumbing loose from the filter they damaged the filter head because the guy didn' know what he was doing :shock: . They had to cut the PVC pipe that was on the return side and it developed a leak when they went to reconnect it. They finally would up putting a plastic hose on it and the leak stopped.

We have had one problem with this style of hose though. Swimmers like to "play" with the return jet inside the pool and the back pressure from them stopping the water flow blew the connection off the filter head and we lost some water from the pool. When I reconnected the line I made sure the connection was tight tight tight and so far its held BUT we have also told swimmers its not a toy and to stay away from it.

PVC is advantagous(sp?) for several reasons. First of all, PVC will never blow open like flexible hoses are notorious for. Also, PVC provides less flow resistance, but this doesn't really matter when the runs are short as they are in most AG pools.

Also, winterizing is not a problem as long as you install Unions in all the necessary places so you can disconnect the equipment from the rest of it.

HTH,
Adam

Thanks for this information. I would definitely agree with the "unions". It should be easily disconnected at both the pool and filter end.

You brought up another question. How far away from the pool can the filter be without getting degraded "pumpability"?

I presently have the filter about two feet away from the pool, although the hose off the skimmer is probably 10 feet long with the return being probably four or six. I used what I had.

It could be nice to move the filter about 10 feet away. Is this feasible?

BK said:
I presently have the filter about two feet away from the pool, although the hose off the skimmer is probably 10 feet long with the return being probably four or six. I used what I had.

It could be nice to move the filter about 10 feet away. Is this feasible?

That shouldn't be an issue unless there is an elevation change too. AG pumps need to be below water level for priming, but 10' horizontal run shouldn't cause any problems. IG pools have much longer runs than that.

BK said:
I've been getting around a bit more lately, reading and learning about pool maintenance.

I have stumbled across, on several occasions, filters that are plumbed in, rather than just running hoses, they have plastic plumbing PVC pipe.

I like is as it is pretty snazzy and will probably go ahead and do it ... maybe next year.

But the question is ... is there an advantage to it, or disadvantage to it?

Until about a week ago I would have said no problem; then this.

Read the first post.

galion-ohio-twins-drowned-in-neighbor-s-pool-t7633.html

I never heard of a code like that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.