I just left Leslie's pool store - Very misinformed employee

mac4lyfe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2007
Houston, Texas
I just left Leslie Pool Supply after a 30 minute debate with a clueless employee.

I mainly only buy acid and toys when they go on sale as they are down the street from my house. A guy came into the store with a picture of a pool that was slimy green, that he was reopening. So I overhear the girl (employee) tell him that he needs to increase his CYA with more stabilizer, Raise his PH with PHup, purchase 5 bags of yellow out, also purchase an algaecide and a bunch of bottles of phosfree. Wow, this is going to go well.

As he went to get an algaecide, I made my way to the back aisle with him and mentioned if he had heard of shocking the pool and maintaining the shock level until his pool was clean. He clearly didn't understand what I meant so I first referred him to this site (Chow - I hope you make it here). Off the top of my head his test sample showed CYA = 70 (not sure I trust any results ran by that lady), PH = 8, CH = 370, Phospates ~ 200, TA ~ 170, FC and TC = 10. I asked him how long did he add any type of sanitizer (bleach, dichlor, triclor, cal-hypo) and he hadn't. I then asked him what did he use in the past and he didn't know (might have been his mom's pool). I then told him that there were too many variables including their testing BUT he obviously needed to add a bunch of bleach. Top of my head for him to shock (17,000 gallon pool which is half the size of mine) CYA of 70 (which I don't believe) would be 28ppm or about 9 - 10 jugs of Walmart bleach across the street. I then told him that he's going to need to maintain this level until the pool is blue. Plus keep cleaning the filter every few hours and vacuum any waste.

The employee heard me mentioning bleach and she says out loud, "you should never put bleach into a pool". I was like, "excuse me"? She then went on a long diatribe, all of which was very wrong as she kept reading off the analysis report all that he needed to purchase. I then asked her several questions that made her own analysis look stupid. I then politely mentioned that I was an engineer that maintained water chemistry in a nuclear plant but we all have our own opinions. I told him to save his money to buy a bunch of bleach which she was obviously upset that he put back the $300+ of stuff she was touting. Hopefully, he makes his way to these forums and educate himself.

I really feel for anyone that goes into pool stores without basic knowledge.

I have yet to find a Leslie's in the Houston area that stocks liquid chlorine. Warehouse pools used to stock it but that will probably end now that Leslie's has bought them out. There are some mom and pop pool stores with a small collection of overpriced chemicals and there's Leslie's and that's about it.

Same thing up here. The only place I've seen ” liquid chlorine” near me is home depot and they keep it outside, looks like noone buys it, bottles covered in dirt!

I just stick with the 3paks of chlorox from sams. It's either stronger than 8.25 % or I'm off on my pool size :)

Bravo! I think we should sing it from the roof tops! I would love to see a large Facebook page with lots of information, I see the TFP fb page, but it is very inactive. I love what a week of proper testing and Clorox have done to the our pool!

We talked about Facebook, but all it would be would be telling people to go to the forum. No reason to duplicate everything there. After all, doesn't TFP show up for just about any pool related Google search?

Yeah, I just couldn't resist. She was totally clueless and tried to come off like she knew what she was doing. When she started talking about raising PH and CYA after she just showed him they were both high made me step in. I was pretty close to her telling me to get out. I really didn't care at that point.

Unfortunately, most people listen to those employees much like they listen to their doctor. Total faith that they know what they are talking about.

I wouldn't make it a habit of going into pool stores trying to convert their customers in their business and mentioning trouble free pool website

I really thought of 2 quotes while debating with her...
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
and
“I'm all in favor of the democratic principle that one idiot is as good as one genius, but I draw the line when someone takes the next step and concludes that two idiots are better than one genius.”
I hang my head in shame....been there and done that.....

After the girl told me that you NEVER put bleach in a pool. I pointed out to her that that very store use to carry bleach 10 feet from where she was standing even a few weeks after Leslie's took over from Warehouse pools. But if you think about it, it's a very good model for them. Let the customer keep adding CYA and CH until they can't shock anymore and load them up on chemicals in a fruitless effort of clearing it up until they are forced to drain half the pool and start all over.

Even Walmart reduced their extra large size of bleach. I'm still looking for a reasonable supply in Houston. I had found one company that delivered 55 gallon drum at a pretty reasonable price before I went ahead and got a SWG.
I have yet to find a Leslie's in the Houston area that stocks liquid chlorine. Warehouse pools used to stock it but that will probably end now that Leslie's has bought them out. There are some mom and pop pool stores with a small collection of overpriced chemicals and there's Leslie's and that's about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
and unfortunately, most people will still not take the time to educate themselves. My next door neighbor refuses to learn anything about chemistry. She pays $75/week for a pool boy because she's a desperate housewife. The kid spends no more than 15 minutes tops and is out of there. Her pool is a little bigger than my hot tub.

We talked about Facebook, but all it would be would be telling people to go to the forum. No reason to duplicate everything there. After all, doesn't TFP show up for just about any pool related Google search?

The sad thing is that there's probably no malice in the decision to stop carrying liquid chlorine, just supply chain issues... I imagine the shelf life of powder & tabs is longer than liquid chlorine, so there's a better chance of being able to keep unsold stock through the winter and sell it next year...

Like boxes of chocolates at our local drug store ;(

I hang my head in shame....been there and done that.....

x2

At least the guy who helped me actually gave me advice that cleared my pool. Yes he sold me PhosFree, Pool first aid (a flocculant basically that I believe does clear the pool faster after a bloom). They are not all that bad, I have to at least put that out there in fairness. Sold me Calhypo and told me I needed to clean the cartridges after a 4-6 hours of keeping the pump running.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it does show up in google almost top 3 anytime.

I for one am anti-farce book so agree no reason to duplicate.

Funny, the girl said to me that liquid bleach is totally ineffective because by the time it would reach their shelf it would be depleted and turned into ordinary water. I then asked her, why would Walmart carry, and actually when bleach breaks down, it just turns into salt water. It breaks down at about 20% a year, so even after two years (standard 6%) is still at about 3-4% strong.

I don't think they would have a supply issue if they promoted liquid bleach using BBB method. Problem for them is that there's not a lot of money with clean pools and they would lose much more money from not being able to pawn off all the other ****. I think it's a conscious decision made by their higher ups.

The sad thing is that there's probably no malice in the decision to stop carrying liquid chlorine, just supply chain issues... I imagine the shelf life of powder & tabs is longer than liquid chlorine, so there's a better chance of being able to keep unsold stock through the winter and sell it next year...

Like boxes of chocolates at our local drug store ;(

Agreed, I don't think they would have any *real* problems -- what I see though is that stores adjust what they sell to avoid even minor inconveniences (eg having to think about the age of the bleach and sell the older stuff first).

That's generally bad for them IMO (and definitely bad for us) but apparently we don't pay people to think these days ;)

you really want to get the pool store's panties in a wad, call them and inquire about a bulk purchase of 12.5%.

i posted about that in another thread last week. the guy I talked to went off......:eek:

I couldnt understand why he was so ***** about it. Then my wife stated "Well, people like you cost him money."

my response to that: :D

Hi, I found TFP toward the end of last season (3rd for us). We had nothing but a cycle of cloudy water to green to cloudy to clear for 3 or 4 days before it started all over again.. the whole summer!! I do not even want to say what we spent on chemicals. BUT the worst thing is that the guy who helped us those last 3 yrs at the pool store (who was so nice) never gave any counsel as our cya kept creeping up as we used the trichlor hockey pucks. When he tested our water, he always said not to worry about the cya when I noticed it was above the range mentioned in the output. We just kept buying this and more of that. Well our cya last tested at 100. No wonder we couldn't get the algae under control.. we needed a ton of bleach to knock it out. In moving from pool store to pool store, it amazes me how uninformed the employees are--heck they are selling chemicals for a living!

We drained our pool abt 3/4 and refilled. Our cya is now 40 and we are on day 4 of testing. My pool is blue and I can see to the bottom :D. Hopefully tomorrow morning my overnight test will show FC that hasn't moved. I predict I will be spending way less money this year and have a crystal clear pool. Thanks TFP!!!

Reactions: Backdraft57
Last week I went into my nearby Leslie's to see if I could get some DPD R-0870 powder for my Taylor K-2006 test kit. I had seen it on their website and thought they mght have it in the store. Wrong! The guy I talked to said "are you sure you need a powder to check your chlorine?". He'd never heard of a powder. I said thanks. Went home and ordered some from Amazon...

...In moving from pool store to pool store, it amazes me how uninformed the employees are--heck they are selling chemicals for a living!

We drained our pool abt 3/4 and refilled. Our cya is now 40 and we are on day 4 of testing. My pool is blue and I can see to the bottom :D. Hopefully tomorrow morning my overnight test will show FC that hasn't moved. I predict I will be spending way less money this year and have a crystal clear pool. Thanks TFP!!!

The simple truth is most pool store employees know little if anything about pool chemistry and have just been taught to recite certain things that they don't know are just sales techniques by the people that really sell chemicals (often by the truck load) for a living.

As to your pool I am sure now that you are here with us things will go much more smoothly.

Ike

Same thing up here. The only place I've seen ” liquid chlorine” near me is home depot and they keep it outside, looks like noone buys it, bottles covered in dirt!

I just stick with the 3paks of chlorox from sams. It's either stronger than 8.25 % or I'm off on my pool size :)

I just saw the same thing at the Home Depot at McDermott and 75. It did seem pretty expensive, haven't run the numbers on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.