New Pool Set up issues

May 11, 2014
Chicago, IL
Good day, we had a 15 foot 54 inch deep above ground pool installed on 5/2. We had it filled by 5/4 and started running the pump. Our first water test showed alkalinity at 200+ and PH in the 8 range. We were instructed to use Muratic acid to bring the alkalinity down, over the course of the week we added about 2 gallons of Muratic acid, running the pump during the day and had the solar cover on the pool. We were able to get the alkalinity down to 80ppm.

The PH at this point was around 6.4-6.6 do we have been adding PH up. The PH on the test strips is reading 6.2 and when I use the PH test from my aquarium(drop) I get closed to 6.8; however, the alkalinity is at 200+ again. We have not added any chlorine nor done a shock at this point. I am hesitant to add more PH up due to the high alkalinity; however I also want to get some chlorine in the water as the pool has been up for a week and I don't want to start growing things.

I added more PH up this morning and took the solar cover off thinking that may help gas it out. Right now i have very high alkalinity and low PH and I am at a loss and frustrated. I am going to vacuum the pool hoping some water movement will help things out but that is wishful thinking I believe.

I am running a Hayward swim pro and it has the Vision Pro chlorination system and the mineral pack is installed, I have wondered if the mineral pack is causing an issue? The pool store mentioned dumping half the water and refilling already, i think that is nuts. All chemical are nature 2 from the great escape. I have also thought about just shocking it and moving forward to see if it balances with a bit of time. Now I am leaning toward adding more PH up to at least get that right and then let the alkalinity play itself out. I have also not added any stabilizer at this point Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

First things first---------WELCOME! You have come to the right place.

Second thing-buy a real test kit. See my siggy at the bottom to find the link. Test strips and pool store tests are not reliable.

Next step is to find your local source for chlorine/bleach as you are going to need a lot of it!

Good luck! Let us know when you order the test kit.

Kim

We do not recommend the use of any Nature 2 mineral packs. Simply remove them. Raise your PH to the mid 7 range. CYA level should be 70 to 80 for a SWG system What is your salt level? I'd at least get some bleach in there pronto. Use the pool math app at the top of this page to see how much to add. Please add a signature line so we know what kind of equipment you have when you post like mine below my post. Welcome to the forum.

We ended up shocking the pool yesterday evening as I had the pump on HI and it was really turning the water over for a few hours, we also had the cover off and I vacuumed the pool. A storm rolled through to help aerate. This morning we are at:

PH 7.2
Chlorine 5
TA 180
CYA 0

I will remove the mineral packet but add the chlorine cartridge along with some stabilizer this evening. I am wondering if leaving the solar cover on while trying to treat the water was causing an issue. I guess we will see over the next couple of days.

We be ordering the T100 test kit and I will keep the cover off the next few days. Going to keep the pump running on low, will also update my sig below as suggested above......

Water looks great! The Cartridge goes into the Zodiac Vision Pro. It is an inline chrolinator with some mineral pack that is suppose to require less chlorine overall.

The wife just put the cover back on......will be interested if the readings change at all.

Technical Details

Holds ten 3" trichlor tabs, or four pounds of 1" trichlor tabs
Utilizes our standard 2" x 2½" Universal Unions
Engineered to commercial standards

From their website. If you use these, be careful of how much cya you add initially.

Minerals + Chlorine unite

Nature2 Fusion In-ground is the ultimate chlorine and mineral sanitizing system for in-ground pools. By combining Nature2 mineral technology with an automatic chlorine tab feeder.................

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.