CYA 0 when opening pool.

Gregd

Jun 16, 2013
Last year when I purchased my test kit I started with a CYA 120.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/60865-CYA-100
At the end of the season after a partial water change I was at 80. When I opened my pool yesterday I was expecting to see around 60. I am seeing zero. Very surprised. I figured at most 25 percent water replacement over winter. I have a solid cover and did pump at least of foot of water off it into the pool.
I am still useing the solution that I bought last June and will be ordering some more this week. I didn't think this went bad so I trust the results.
This morning 24 hours after opening the pool I am seeing fc= 3.0 cc = 2.5 and the water doesn't look that bad for only being open only 24 hours. Not sure how to proceed. I have about 40 pounds of pucks left over from before I switched to only liquid. How long would it take to get CYA back up useing just the pucks and how many would it take. Thanks for any help in keeping me on track.

You can use PoolMath to figure out how many trichlor tablets to get the CYA back up, but keep in mind that it will probably be weeks worth of tablets and in the mean time they will be lowering the PH fairly quickly.

Just wanted to say thanks to both the people that replied. I really appreciate the help.
Now 2 weeks later. I am very happy I bought a tf-100 test kit last year. After raising the fc to above 10 the cc went to zero after 24 hours. I ordered another supply of the cya test solution and it arrived in 2 days. It agreed with last years solution. No idea why CYA was down to zero. The excesive snow and rain is my only guess , but I pumped alot of water off my winter cover.
Just useing the trichlor tablets on overload for 2 weeks slowly raised the CYA from zero to 50. Went up alot faster than I expected. But like you advised the ph dropped. Now I understand that buying stabilizer is cheaper than useing the hockey pucks to raise cya. I always like to see things for myself. The pool was crystal clear in 3 days this year. In years past I fooled around with it for 2 weeks because I never raised the FC to the correct level.
Thanks again for the help.

Just wanted to say thanks to both the people that replied. I really appreciate the help.
Now 2 weeks later. I am very happy I bought a tf-100 test kit last year. After raising the fc to above 10 the cc went to zero after 24 hours. I ordered another supply of the cya test solution and it arrived in 2 days. It agreed with last years solution. No idea why CYA was down to zero. The excesive snow and rain is my only guess , but I pumped alot of water off my winter cover.
Just useing the trichlor tablets on overload for 2 weeks slowly raised the CYA from zero to 50. Went up alot faster than I expected. But like you advised the ph dropped. Now I understand that buying stabilizer is cheaper than useing the hockey pucks to raise cya. I always like to see things for myself. The pool was crystal clear in 3 days this year. In years past I fooled around with it for 2 weeks because I never raised the FC to the correct level.
Thanks again for the help.
Great testimony! Stick around and answer the threads that say, "But I have a whole bucket of pucks left from last year. Why can't I use them up?"

No CYA at pool opening

I have the same thing going on. CYA was 0 when I opened the pool 2 weeks ago, but my CC's were also 0 from the start.
I am slowly trying to build up the CYA using some hockey pucks (because I have a bunch of them), and adding CYA to a sock in my filter basket. So far I have added about 8 cups of CYA , and I am still at 0 with the TF100 test kit. I am hoping I will soon get a reading ! I have gone through about 1 container so far of CYA. Looks like I may have to get another one soon. BTW, my pool is crystal clear and swimmable already ............just trying to get my CYA up to the proper level. Is the TF100 CYA test very accurate ? It is a difficult test to "interpret" . Of course when I check the CYA with strips ...........It is reading 40 ish .
As soon as My CYA reading is inline , I can install my new Liquidator !

The CYA test in the TF-100 can take up to a week to register properly. CYA is VERY slow dissolving so don't dose and measure......calculate your dose carefully, add the CYA and then assume it is in there. test about a week later (or shorter) to confirm your calculation and dosage was correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.