Low Salt

MK1985

Jul 9, 2011
Webster,Wi
Just starting to get the pool opened and cleaned, it has a very nice lime green tint right now. Last fall I drained half the water to just below the return and it frozen solid over winter which by the way was one for the ages. Anyway I have filled it up most of the way with no leaks and hooked up the pump and started circulating the water and added some bleach, my question is I know it is low on salt and the alarm did come on on the pump but will it hurt the cell to run with low salt? I will be getting to a store that sells pool salt on Wednesday.

We live an hour away from any big box store but the local gas station-convenince store sells the pelletized salt for sidewalks in the blue or yellow bags, is that something I could use?

I wouldn't trust the road salt without knowing what's in it. May not matter for an AGP, but you never know. Is there no way to turn off the salt cell?

Probably safer to just add bleach for a few days until you can get some high-purity salt. That's what I would do.

Just starting to get the pool opened and cleaned, it has a very nice lime green tint right now. Last fall I drained half the water to just below the return and it frozen solid over winter which by the way was one for the ages. Anyway I have filled it up most of the way with no leaks and hooked up the pump and started circulating the water and added some bleach, my question is I know it is low on salt and the alarm did come on on the pump but will it hurt the cell to run with low salt? I will be getting to a store that sells pool salt on Wednesday.
Even with the right amount of salt, a SWG won't be able to generate enough Fc to kill off an algae bloom.

I will check in the instructions to see if I can turn off the cell and then just add bleach until I get the salt. I was just concerned running it with low salt alarm that it could hurt the cell but it doesn't look like it would.

- - - Updated - - -

Even with the right amount of salt, a SWG won't be able to generate enough Fc to kill off an algae bloom.

The bleach I added yesterday seemed to have helped, the green color is gone today and without doing a test I know I still might have problems but I was concerned about running with the low salt alarm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.