Sanding plaster

May 11, 2014
Bowie, Maryland
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I wish I had joined earlier to avoid problems with my plaster. I have stains, scaling and a nasty crack on a corner. I'm going to replaster either later this summer or at the beginning of next year. I've gotten 12 years out of the original plaster and was fine until last year when I used too much and the wrong algaecide. I thought I might try to sand a few bad areas to buy some time and enjoy the upcoming holidays. Any tips on sanding would be much appreciated. Grit, hand vs power etc.

Welcome to TFP! Sorry to hear of your troubles! Someone with more knowledge than I will be able to help you!

Yeah, let us know the status of the pool. My assumption is drained....at least partially.

That sanding will likely help the smoothness but perhaps increase the unsightliness. Try a little patch and see if it's worth it.

I have never done it before so cannot advise on technique but since you are going to replaster, I see no harm in the attempt.

mfederwi, as an aside, acorns stain can be handled with simple elevation of chlorine. It may take a while but they will go away. Nothing wrong with the steel brush but some extra chlorine is perhaps a bit easier albeit slower.

I spent the day draining and power washing the pool, and helping celebrate Mother's Day of course :). Pool is almost drained. There is a small pond in the deep end I need a shallow pump to get out. I power washed everywhere else and tried some 80 grit on a hand sanding block. The scales and stain seem to come off fairly easy, surface is much smoother too. I think I'll try to sand it myself tomorrow. It's a big pool but I'm hoping to do it 4 hours and then fill it. My big question now is I have that crack I need to seal. I bought some silicone sealer but when I was about to put it on I noticed the product is not meant for submerged conditions. Any ideas on a good crack sealer that can hold up to water? The crack runs from the coping down into the pool about 12".

Success on the sanding. Took a bit longer but with the help of a neighbor we did it in about 5 hours. Used hand block sanders and a drywall block sander on a pole. Easier than you think. Scaling is smooth now and stains look much better. Filling pool with a hose now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.