Green water in the pool

Jul 4, 2008
NJ USA
Hi need help again
Last night Jason and Waste advised me on how to get the green monster , so I have been adding bleech to the pool and brushing it a three times. I used 3 bottles of 174 oz Bleech 6% at diffrent intervals 2 times under the darkness until this afternoon , my testers do not measure above 10 PPM. i have kept the FC above 10 so far, here are my recent #s
TH 250
TC 10
FC 10
PH 6.8
TA 60
CYA 10 ***The CYA was zero before, so it has started to creep up
Water Temp 78 F
Air Temp 85 F
My chlorinator is adding Chlorine ( 3" pucks) to the pool, the pump has been running 24/7 the sand filter pressure is at 12
I have added 1/4 lbs of Cyanuric acid since last night . Yesterday we had added 2 LBS of tricholortriazinetrion , Pool Time Shock which has Boron sodium and enhance sunlight protector in it.
My Question is
1) can I add the rest of this tricholortrazin stuff to the pool , I got 3 LBS left ?

2) If I keep adding the regular 6% Bleech and keep the FC level above 10, How long will it take for the water to get clear ?

Keep in mind it is going to be hot and humid for the next few days here in NJ. with Chance of showers ( down poors)
I have a Fiberglass Pool with Capacity of 17500 Gal.
Sorry for the long post but I am very desperate :|

rezasaba said:
Hi need help again
Last night Jason and Waste advised me on how to get the green monster , so I have been adding bleech to the pool and brushing it a three times. I used 3 bottles of 174 oz Bleech 6% at diffrent intervals 2 times under the darkness until this afternoon , my testers do not measure above 10 PPM. i have kept the FC above 10 so far, here are my recent #s
TH 250
TC 10
FC 10
PH 6.8
TA 60
Water Temp 78 F
Air Temp 85 F
My chlorinator is adding Chlorine ( 3" pucks) to the pool, the pump has been running 24/7 the sand filter pressure is at 12
I have added 1/4 lbs of Cyanuric acid since last night . Yesterday we had added 2 LBS of tricholortriazinetrion , Pool Time Shock which has Boron sodium and enhance sunlight protector in it.
My Question is
1) can I add the rest of this tricholortrazin stuff to the pool , I got 3 LBS left ?

2) If I keep adding the regular 6% Bleech and keep the FC level above 10, How long will it take for the water to get clear ?

Keep in mind it is going to be hot and humid for the next few days here in NJ. with Chance of showers ( down poors)

HI there, your test kit is ok for now, as you have no CYA, so your shock level is 10 anyway....

You need to keep adding bleach until your FC holds overnight. So after sunset, test and add enough bleach to bring your FC to 10. Check again in the morning, before full sun is up, if your FC held overnight, or you lost less than 1ppm, and you have no CC's you have killed the algae. Then you just have the run the filter 24/7 brushing brushing brushing till the water clears. IT will take lots of bleach. That tricholortriazinetrion is granulor tri-chlor shock. It is acidic and will lower your PH which is already too low. I wouldn't use it, but that's me.

In fact, you need to raise your PH. You need to add some arm & Hammer washing soda/soda ash to raise the PH. Use the pool calculator for dosages. HIgh chlorine levels will make your PH tests inaccurate....usually false high readings.

When you get your pool to the recommended levels (see Pool School), I recommend you turn off the auto chlorinator unless you need it while on vacation. Just use bleach.

Hope this helps.

frustratedpoolmom said:
rezasaba said:
Hi need help again
TH 250
TC 10
FC 10
PH 6.8
TA 60
Water Temp 78 F
Air Temp 85 F
My Question is

HI there, your test kit is ok for now, as you have no CYA, so your shock level is 10 anyway....

You need to keep adding bleach until your FC holds overnight. So after sunset, test and add enough bleach to bring your FC to 10. Check again in the morning, before full sun is up, orif your FC held overnight, you lost less than 1ppm, and you have no CC's you have killed the algae, Then you just have the run the filter 24/7 brushing brushing brushing till the water clears. IT will take lots of bleach. That tricholortriazinetrion is granulor tri-chlor shock. It is acidic and will lower your PH which is already too low. I wouldn't use it, but that's me.

In fact, you need to raise your PH. You need to add some arm & Hammer washing soda/soda ash to raise the PH. Use the pool calculator for dosages. HIgh chlorine levels will make your PH tests inaccurate....usually false high readings.

When you get your pool to the recommended levels (see Pool School), I recommend you turn off the auto chlorinator unless you need it while on vacation. Just use bleach.

Hope this helps.
HI Thanx for the info I will Add more Bleach tonight . Whay did you mean by "or if your FC held overnight, you lost less than 1ppm, and you have no CC's you have killed the algae"
one more thing I have 4 bottles of 174 OZ Bleach can I add all of it at the same time ?? Thanx again

No don't add it all at the same time.

Your test result showed 10ppm FC/TC. That means you are at shock level for your pool, since you have little to no CYA.

To kill algae, you shock your pool with enough chlorine to reach your optimal shock level. You are there, according to your test. After sunset, go out and test the chlorine again. If it's still 10, you don't need to add more. If it's less than 10, go to www.poolcalculator.com and enter your pool gallons, and the current level of FC. So say hypothetical, if it's 8ppm, you would add about 1/2 of one of the jugs you have on hand. It depends what your current level is. Give the pool calc a try, just to get a feel for how it works, if you are confused. Or do the test and post back here and we'll tell you how much to add.

Your TC less your FC = CC. If you have more than .5 cc you still have algae consuming your chlorine. UV rays from the sun consume chlorine. If your Free Chlorine holds overnight, or you don't drop from 10 to say 7, your algae is dead. IF you test in the morning and your chlorine is less than 9ppm, then you know it's not from the sun, its likely live algae, and you need to add enough chlorine to bring the level back up to 10ppm.

Does that make sense?

frustratedpoolmom said:
No don't add it all at the same time.

Your test result showed 10ppm FC/TC. That means you are at shock level for your pool, since you have little to no CYA.

To kill algae, you shock your pool with enough chlorine to reach your optimal shock level. You are there, according to your test. After sunset, go out and test the chlorine again. If it's still 10, you don't need to add more. If it's less than 10, go to http://www.poolcalculator.com and enter your pool gallons, and the current level of FC. So say hypothetical, if it's 8ppm, you would add about 1/2 of one of the jugs you have on hand. It depends what your current level is. Give the pool calc a try, just to get a feel for how it works, if you are confused. Or do the test and post back here and we'll tell you how much to add.

Your TC less your FC = CC. If you have more than .5 cc you still have algae consuming your chlorine. UV rays from the sun consume chlorine. If your Free Chlorine holds overnight, or you don't drop from 10 to say 7, your algae is dead. IF you test in the morning and your chlorine is less than 9ppm, then you know it's not from the sun, its likely live algae, and you need to add enough chlorine to bring the level back up to 10ppm.

Does that make sense?
Hi , Yes it makes Sense now that you explained it , I have used the pool calculator yesterday it is a amazing tool, I love the way it tells ya how many gal.of the stuff you need when you set the pointer over the box. So,,, if my FC in the morning is still at the highest (10) thatmy tester measures ( Aquacheck) strips,, then I do not need to add any more Bleach !!! and by morning the Green will be gone ??

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If your lucky the green may be gone. More likely it will take a day or 2 or more if your tests are off. Every pool is different. Be sure to let us know!!!

BTW, did I recommend enough the TF-100 test kit which includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test....? Essential for proper pool maintenance....

Hi. Couldn't help but respond. Please go to my discussion board at trying-to-figure-this-all-out-overwhelmed-t7385.html and you will see what I've been dealing with. I can say that it has taken me almost 2 weeks to clear my murky water after an algae breakout. Strongest thing I can recommend from those that helped me is 1. Get a good test kit (you'll be thankful) 2. Scrub and change filters a couple times a day 3. (and most important) POP or Pool Owner Patience!

Good luck! I know what you're going through!
Cindy

frustratedpoolmom said:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If your lucky the green may be gone. More likely it will take a day or 2 or more if your tests are off. Every pool is different. Be sure to let us know!!!

BTW, did I recommend enough the TF-100 test kit which includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test....? Essential for proper pool maintenance....
Thanx I will get the test Kit and then I have 5 test Kits on my Kitchen Counter what the heckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk LOL

austinsmom01 said:
Hi. Couldn't help but respond. Please go to my discussion board at trying-to-figure-this-all-out-overwhelmed-t7385.html and you will see what I've been dealing with. I can say that it has taken me almost 2 weeks to clear my murky water after an algae breakout. Strongest thing I can recommend from those that helped me is 1. Get a good test kit (you'll be thankful) 2. Scrub and change filters a couple times a day 3. (and most important) POP or Pool Owner Patience!

Good luck! I know what you're going through!
Cindy
Thanx I will checkout the website Thanx again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Jason!

I understand your frustration, but re-read through the earlier comments. It takes time to clear a green pool. Did you retest your water this morning? Are you sure your FC is at 10? You need to maintain the 10ppm, by frequently adding bleach, sometimes every hour, to hold the 10ppm. Are you running your filter 24/7 and brushing?

One of the most important things to have on hand is POP - pool owner patience. I know you are frustrated right now, but the green pool didn't happen overnight and it's going to take time to clear it.

Re: Pool still green

rezasaba said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Can you repost this comment on your original thread....its easier to follow that way.
Merged with the original topic. JasonLion
OK
Yes I have kept the FC at 10 or above , My tester showes up to 10 only !!! anway CYA is around 10 TA=60 PH=7 TC=10 TH=250
I guess now I have to just keep Brushing ?? Thanx for all your help

rezasaba said:
rezasaba said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Can you repost this comment on your original thread....its easier to follow that way.
Merged with the original topic. JasonLion
OK
Yes I have kept the FC at 10 or above , My tester showes up to 10 only !!! anway CYA is around 10 TA=60 PH=7 TC=10 TH=250
I guess now I have to just keep Brushing ?? Thanx for all your help
Jason I got another question? do you now about Sand filters and how they work ? If you do here is my question an few days ago before the green problem my water was very cloudy blue but cloudy ... There was this wooshing noise coming out of my chlorinator so i disconnected the canester from the system i found the white plastic cap about 1' in diameter stuck in the return flow path of the chlorinator i took it out and reconeted it and the wooshing sound was gone and the flow aout if the two returns was a lot more can not figure out where this plastic cap came from it does look like it was broken off of somthing , my sand filter seems to work from the operating point. the sand filter is the Ranger series from Cooper Industries

Yes, keep brushing and checking that filter too. You don't want it to get clogged up and it will filtering out all that gunk. Stay on top of it. Checking many times a day. Brushing will keep everything stirred up (so the filter can remove it) and break the biofilm on the algae so it will be exposed to the chlorine. I had to go around the top of mine by hand with a sponge to keep wiping down the edge where the algae may collect. These people know what they are talking about. They helped me SO much! My pool is just starting to clear after 2 weeks running filter 24/7. It just takes time and POP.
:wink:

Thanx I will do
austinsmom01 said:
Yes, keep brushing and checking that filter too. You don't want it to get clogged up and it will filtering out all that gunk. Stay on top of it. Checking many times a day. Brushing will keep everything stirred up (so the filter can remove it) and break the biofilm on the algae so it will be exposed to the chlorine. I had to go around the top of mine by hand with a sponge to keep wiping down the edge where the algae may collect. These people know what they are talking about. They helped me SO much! My pool is just starting to clear after 2 weeks running filter 24/7. It just takes time and POP.

rezasaba said:
Thanx I will do
austinsmom01 said:
How is the pool looking?

austinsmom01 said:
rezasaba said:
Thanx I will do
austinsmom01 said:
How is the pool looking?
It looked good this morning but after i came home at 7 pm the FC=5 TC=3 ver hot in NJ today 95 F and humid so i must have lost chlorine to sunlight ?? my cya has been low and i added 1/4 lbs of CYA to bring it up I brushed the pool and also added 174 oz of bleach to bring it up and it went up to 10 for FC and 10 for TC I bac washed too this morning and pressure in my filter dropped by 4 psi . the water was Pestaci green fro Cucumber green :) I ordered the test kit tf100 too last night . any comments i hope i am on the right track

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.