Green water in the pool

I'm sorry youre feeling frustrated...when you get your test kit you'll have a better outlook on things.

Keep in mind backwashing the filter removes CYA from your water. Keep the bleach in there... you'll get a handle on it, I promise!

help..........not sure if this is working but, the pool looked light green this morning
cya 20 , TA 80, PH 6.8, FC 10, TC 10 ,TH 250 Brushed it and backwashed the sand filter pressure went from 14 to 11 psi , today NJ temp was 95 F and humid at 6 pm came home tested it and 3s were down CYA 20,, TA 80,, PH 6.8,, FC 10 ,,TC 10 ,,TH 250 IO added 174 oz of bleach Brushed it again and the FC and TC came up to 10 I added 4 3" pucks of Chlorine to the Chlorinator and set on mid range I also added 1/4 lbs od CYA acid to the Skimmer via Hangging sock , this way i can backwash ?? hope it works I hope I am on the right track ??

rezasaba said:
help..........not sure if this is working but, the pool looked light green this morning
cya 20 , TA 80, PH 6.8, FC 10, TC 10 ,TH 250 Brushed it and backwashed the sand filter pressure went from 14 to 11 psi , today NJ temp was 95 F and humid at 6 pm came home tested it and 3s were down CYA 20,, TA 80,, PH 6.8,, FC 10 ,,TC 10 ,,TH 250 IO added 174 oz of bleach Brushed it again and the FC and TC came up to 10 I added 4 3" pucks of Chlorine to the Chlorinator and set on mid range I also added 1/4 lbs od CYA acid to the Skimmer via Hangging sock , this way i can backwash ?? hope it works I hope I am on the right track ??

You really need to raise your PH. Have you purchased the washing soda that I suggested earlier? You need to add that, according to the pool calculator for dosage. I would stop using the pucks for now, only because they are acidic and probably causing your PH to go down. You are adding CYA which is good, but that also is acidic again, lowering your PH. Get some washing soda.....

Where is the hanging sock? You should hang it near the return or tied to the ladder or something.

I don't understand your posting of the test results, it doesn't make sense. YOu said you came home and the FC & TC was 10 so you added 174 oz bleach and the FC and TC came UP to 10. What were the results when you came home?

FC + CC = TC. Your Free Chlorine CAN't be more than total chlorine. Does that make sense?

I'm trying to help, try to stay patient and not give up. I can sense how frustrated you are right now.

Hi , My bad at 6 pm today my FC=5 TC=3 maybe i read it wrong but for sure they were both down , so I added 174 oz of bleach brushed it again tested and the FC and TC came back up to 10 and about an hour ago my wife added 2 more gallons of bleach.
the CYA acid is hanging in the skimmer basket i used a sock so the stuff just disolves slowly in the water going back to filter.
ths morning my water looked alot better it was like pestacio green oppse to Cucumber green.
As far as the PH goes i have not done anything with it. You thing i should add SODA ASH or Baking Soda is this same as washing soda ??? never heard of washing soda ?? Thanx I m trying to keep kool in this weather LOL

OOOPs :?: I got it wrong , you meant BORAX to raise the PH this will not interfear with what i am trying to do ?? ( clear the green stuff), i will get it on Wednesday on my way home . do ya know anything about robotic pool cleaners ? if you can help me i like to get one so my ?? is should i get it ? I saw one called NITRO it is manufactured by this company
http://www.smartpool.com they are out of CA. it goes for about $600 any suggestion in this area much appriciated. :roll:
I have Inground Fiberglass pool 17.5 K gallons sand filter 3/4 HP pump and a heat pump which thank god i have not used it this year :hammer:

That's ok I wanna make sure I understand. Okay, I'm guessing your TC was 5 and your FC was 3 which means you have a CC of 2. You want your cc to be .5 or less..... so keep shocking to 10ppm until we get this thing crystal!!!

Yes, raise the PH. Here's what JasonLion said in another thread about the various products and raising PH or TA:

"baking soda - raises TA lots and PH a little
borax - raises PH lots and TA a little
washing soda/soda ash -raises PH lots and TA some
aeration when TA is high - raises PH without changing TA"

Yes, baking soda and washing soda are different products. The washing soda is likely purchased in the laundry aisle of your grocery store.

Here's the washing soda....
http://www.thelaundrybasket.com/Our_Pro ... g_sod.html
and here's baking soda
http://www.armhammer.com/basics/products/

If you can't find the washing soda you can use Borax instead. Refer to the pool calculator for dosage instructions for all of them. Your TA is good so you want something that will raise the PH without increasing the TA very much. Aeration will also do that but it takes longer. Aeration is as simple as pointing your return eyeball towards the surface so that the waterflow creates breaking bubbles at the surface.

Hope this helps!!!

rezasaba said:
OOOPs :?: I got it wrong , you meant BORAX to raise the PH this will not interfear with what i am trying to do ?? ( clear the green stuff), i will get it on Wednesday on my way home . do ya know anything about robotic pool cleaners ? if you can help me i like to get one so my ?? is should i get it ? I saw one called NITRO it is manufactured by this company
http://www.smartpool.com they are out of CA. it goes for about $600 any suggestion in this area much appriciated. :roll:
I have Inground Fiberglass pool 17.5 K gallons sand filter 3/4 HP pump and a heat pump which thank god i have not used it this year :hammer:

I don't know anything about auto pool cleaners. You can start a different thread about it.... :-D

frustraredpoolmom, Thank You for all your help. I will get the borax . hope is not too expensive , what do you pay for gallon of bleach? i paid $2.45 for 174 oz and $1.65 for I gallon jogg ? can get it cheaperanywhere

also i will close my chlorinator per your suggestion. Thanx gain

rezasaba said:
frustraredpoolmom, Thank You for all your help. I will get the borax . hope is not too expensive , what do you pay for gallon of bleach? i paid $2.45 for 174 oz and $1.65 for I gallon jogg ? can get it cheaperanywhere

I don't think Borax is too expensive. REmember, were talking about Wal-Mart or the grocery store here, not a pool store. :mrgreen:

That's a good price for the Bleach, for the smaller jug Aldi has it for 99 cents, if you have an Aldi by you. Otherwise the cheapest I've seen is Wal-Mart and Target brand bleach, 174 oz for $2.28.

When the Pool Store has Liquid Chlorine 12.5% on sale, I can get it for $2.50 a gallon which is a good buy, cause it's double strength.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rezasaba said:
I live in NJ. this POP thing dont work out here , rushh rush rush here,, LOL I need to get this pool clear i feel the summer is gone and i feel defeated.

Wish I could offer comforting words other than I'm right there with ya! I'm not a patient person and it seems that's what you need the most when you have a pool. Still working on mine too! :) Hang in there! We can't give up yet!

austinsmom01 said:
rezasaba said:
I live in NJ. this POP thing dont work out here , rushh rush rush here,, LOL I need to get this pool clear i feel the summer is gone and i feel defeated.

Wish I could offer comforting words other than I'm right there with ya! I'm not a patient person and it seems that's what you need the most when you have a pool. Still working on mine too! :) Hang in there! We can't give up yet!
hi Thanx for the comforting words my pool is getting light green now i am getting a work out brushing it it is my excuse not to go to my martial arts class for now , and realy I have no time to get there the pool maint.these days eats up at least an hour of my time . Not complaining just venting :?

[/quote]
hi Thanx for the comforting words my pool is getting light green now i am getting a work out brushing it it is my excuse not to go to my martial arts class for now , and realy I have no time to get there the pool maint.these days eats up at least an hour of my time . Not complaining just venting :?[/quote]

I understand COMPLETELY! I've been so consumed with my pool that I think my family is going to disown me soon! I can't even sleep at night! I want to kick that pool so hard but I'm afraid I'll put a hole in it! Talk about trouble!!! :grrrr:

I have been brushing 2-3 times aday i added two box of the Mule Borax $4 / box each box is 76 oz any way the PH came up here are some #s
CH= 250
TC=10
FC=10
PH=7.2
TZ=80
CYA=40
BTW the Target Price for bleach 174 oz is the best i have to tell the wife to check them out i was hoping on this site there is place we can get it cheaper by five gallon buckets.
frustratedpoolmom said:
rezasaba said:

I don't think Borax is too expensive. REmember, were talking about Wal-Mart or the grocery store here, not a pool store. :mrgreen:

That's a good price for the Bleach, for the smaller jug Aldi has it for 99 cents, if you have an Aldi by you. Otherwise the cheapest I've seen is Wal-Mart and Target brand bleach, 174 oz for $2.28.

When the Pool Store has Liquid Chlorine 12.5% on sale, I can get it for $2.50 a gallon which is a good buy, cause it's double strength.

I'm really new here but I found algae lurking in light niche. I looked cuz I read a post by someone who found it under his removable steps (weddidng cake steps?) Anywho; I don't know how important that is; maybe the folks who have the know how could comment on whether this is something that needs to be considered. I also had green gunk hiding in the little tiny indentation around the top of liner where the water doesn't reach. I got it as well with a soft nylon brush and 10% bleach solution and rinsed well. I am still a litttle cloudy after a month but I am getting there. Our 10 year grandson is coming today, he loves to swim and I love him stirring things up. Our pool always seem to clear up some after he swims. Don't know why but hey "if it works ...".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.