Fine sediment turns water cloudy

Aramei

Jun 24, 2008
I have been working hard at getting my pool cleaned up that we acquired when bought new house. I have been vacuuming almost every other day after letting the pool "settle" without filter on. Is this a common problem and should I keep trying what I'm doing or let sand filter try to get it out. It seems it is too fine for the filter.

thanks
Christine

Hi....

what color is your water? Is it otherwise clear? Do you have any test results you can share? If your numbers are not within range, we might advise running the filter 24/7 for a time, while shocking. So your test results could affect the advice we give.

Also, it's helpful to add your pool equipment/info to your signature. You can update it in your "profile".

Welcome to TFP!

Christine, You have to move the vacuum very slowly when cleaning a mess like that to avoid stirring it up. I'd be inclined to run the filter 24/7 and brush the pool twice a day to keep the sediment stirred up, mostly because it's easier.

Since the pool is in somewhat unknown condition, you need to know if the filter works before you wear yourself out vacuuming. When you backwash, is the water cloudy for the first minute or so? This would indicate that the filter is capturing some of the debris.

Try to watch in front of the return while you are vacuuming. Any cloudiness in the return water indicates water bypassing the filter, either because of sand issues or damaged internal filter hardware. Not a big deal to fix, but you could drive yourself crazy trying to clear a pool with a damaged filter.

It would also help if you could post water test results. You could have a water problem that continues to produce the sediment.

Well it seems that yesterday I had a better result with vacuuming. I do not know if it was because the water was colder and held the sediment down? (I know this is a crazy idea) However, I was able to vacuum up most of it without stirring it up!!! :lol: YAY! I am letting it settle again today and going over it one more time tonight. I did add shock last night. I also noticed that around the edges and in some "dips" of the liner I was unable to reach. I will just brush those out and keep the filter going. This should not affect our swimming too much I would guess. Now just need to adjust levels and we can swim!!

I have a 28' above ground with a sand filter.

Christine

I have fine sediment issues also - dust storms in the desert kick it up. My cartridge filter is able to trap it, but if there gets to be too much of it in the filter, some might get blown back into the pool. I have also discovered that my auto vac (Baracuda Ranger) gets it better than my manual triangle head vac. The brushes on the manual vac head stirs it up. A skimmer sock also seems to help. Swimming or brushing does get it stirred so that the skimmer can get it. Other than that, because of the fact that right now is the time of the year for dust storms, and I don't care to be running my pump 24/7 or having to make sure I hook up the vacuum for a couple of hours before I go swimming every time, I've decided that, to some extent, I will just live with it. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.