Ultra flex 2 fails to rotate between stations

Megair

May 10, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Tom,

My ultra flex 2 system won't rotate between stations. All I get is the rapidly blinking red LED light. I have the grey sensor.
I came across your post in the trouble free pool forums regarding the ultra flex 2 pool cleaning system. Mine is acting up as you described in the past. I have replaced the motor and the control box including the wiring between them. I am at a loss to figure out what else could be wrong. Do you still have the trouble shooting guide and would you be willing to send it to me?

Sincerely,

Mike

Welcome to TFP Mike. Someone will be around shortly to help you out! :cool:

Re: Ultraflex 2/ Caretaker 99

I emailed them over to you. When you replaced the motor did you replace the complete motor assembly with the sensor and PCB? The gray "Look Down" sensor was only used for a short time and they now use the black "pass through" sensor.

Re: Ultraflex 2/ Caretaker 99

Glad to see there are others out there who have the same system as Tom and I.

Although, not happy to hear we have all had the same problem at one point or another.

Check voltage to the 1st and 2nd pins on the PCB connectors to make sure your controller is communicating with the motor in the 8-port system, should be orange if you have the newer ones, or black if older. You should get readings every 15 seconds, or whatever your station interval is set to.

Check pressure switch wiring, pressure should be at a optimal 13-22 PSI.

Also, after you do all this, reset your control box. There should be a reset button inside the box. And also make sure the knob is not in the pause or program modes.

Few questions, does it only stay on one station when it turns on? And when you turn it off and back on again, does it switch to another station?

--------------------------------------------------

My sensor has gone down 3 times since I last posted on here having problems with alternating stations. I have FINALLY upgraded to the new motor assembly with the newer black sensor and have had great success. I check for water damage once every month to see if water is getting into the system (also make sure the drainage port is open so if you do have a leak, it wont damage the motor).

I am having a similar problem. This thread has been very helpful for me to understand the parts and typical problems, but I have not yet found a solution.

The initial problem was that I was getting zero rotation. It looked like water had gotten inside, so I replaced the entire motor assembly as well as the sensor. Then, I was getting constant rotation (no stopping in between stations), so I checked to make sure that the sensor wasn't faulty from the factory by installing another brand new sensor (I had read that some sensors are bad from the factory). I was careful to "fiddle" with the placement of the sensor, without luck. Interestingly, though, if I held the sensor out in the open sunlight and then covered it with my hand, it would stop like it was supposed to. So, I figured there was a problem @ the controller board, given both sensors were having the same behavior. So, I replaced the PCB board in the controller box. Now, I'm back to no movement at all. My pool is equipped with, I believe the "original" Caretaker system. I don't have the gray sensor, mine is black. My connectors inside the box are not orange, they are black. I would be most thankful for any assistance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ULTRAFLEX MOTOR.jpg

I am having the same issues as Megair. I replaced the entire motor unit about 2 years ago and I believe water got into the motor area, etc. When I fired up the system this Spring it did not work correctly. So the past week I replaced BOTH circuit boards and the sensor and still no luck. The system has the constant red blinking error light and will not rotate stations. When the system is started it moves fine but then goes to error and stays on the same station. I also clicked the reset switch inside the control box. I believe I bought a new black "pass-through" sensor. I have never replaced the pressure gauge however it does read ok. Can the pressure gauge be bad even though it still has a reading? I will also see if I can check the voltage as m4tt54 recommends but any other suggestions would be great !! Thanks !

This could be something so simple as a broken wire. Has continuity been checked from end-to-end on all eight conductors?
I always start with the simplest things first. Test transformer output with voltmeter. This kind of thing.
Many times I've had good luck simply jumping a sensor with a test lead. This has effect of the sensor sending either a 'maximum' signal, or 'zero' signal. In either case take note of the effect on the system. This is a quick-n-dirty way to learn if that sensor is guilty. But be careful not to 'short' anything, like power to ground. If you get a spark, that's not what you want. AND, if you get NO effect, then whatever is supposed to be reading that sensor likely is faulty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.