bwest5

Mar 29, 2014
Olalla, WA
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

I just received my TFT test kit. I am new to having a pool and look forward to all I can learn from you folks and hope to contribute someday. Ok, first results:

FC=1
CC=0
TC=1
PH=7.4
TA=120
CH=150
CYA=98
TEMP=58 degrees

I just recently got rid of a small algae bloom. How does this look?

Thanks in advance!
Bonnie
Vinyl In-Ground Pool
Gallons - 15,000 ?? - Not sure
Olalla, WA

Welcome Bonnie. Looks like you are in for a partial drain/refill with that high CYA. It's truly your first step. You will use way to much chlorine just to get the minimum FC level, let alone SLAM'img levels! Have you been using pucks?

Welcome Bonnie. Looks like you are in for a partial drain/refill with that high CYA. It's truly your first step. You will use way to much chlorine just to get the minimum FC level, let alone SLAM'img levels! Have you been using pucks?

Yes, I have been using pucks. How much would I need to drain? (dang...)

If you use Pool Math it will tell you how much water to replace to lower CYA X amount. Just plug your numbers in the now and what your target CYA level you want to reach. Don't forget to add your pool water volume at the top.
Also if you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us better help you. ?

The pucks caught up with you just like they always do. At least now you know. If you have any left, save the for vacation.

New test results for 5/12 5:29 pm

FC=.55
CC=0
TC=.55
TA=100
CYA=70 (didn't replace enough water)
CH=150
PH=7.5

So, using the pool math calculator:
I should add bleach and borax/soda ash/washing soda

Is that correct? If so, do I do one before the other? Or do I need to do something completely different?

Thanks!

.55? What test are you using?

Your PH and TA are fine so you don't need anything except chlorine...

How does your water look? That would determine if you need to lower the CYA more or if you can get by with that level for the rest of the season. Backwashing with your sand filter the level will slowly drop over the summer.

How does your water look? That would determine if you need to lower the CYA more or if you can get by with that level for the rest of the season. Backwashing with your sand filter the level will slowly drop over the summer.

I will have to retest FC...sorry. The water looks crystal clear.

- - - Updated - - -

FC=7.5 - duh on my part!

Well I would suggest then that you do an OCLT and determine if your FC is holding overnight. If it is, you don't need to SLAM and you can try and run with the CYA at 70. You just need to be diligent and keep the FC above the "Min" at all times - no cheating. LOL

My first summer on TFP 7 years ago I lowered my CYA from 140 to 70 and ran it there the rest of the summer. Was fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.