Palm Tree Debate

Sep 17, 2013
DFW metroplex
So we put in the pool and are doing the landscaping ourselves. We bought two pindo palms today that will be delivered and installed on 5/22, I'd like to put one on each side of the pool. Here's the debate - should we extend the existing beds or just plant them in the grass? One will be on the driveway side right past the scupper wall to hopefully help obscure the house behind us, the other will be on the fence side near where the red plants are for a eventually a little shade in the afternoon. Any thoughts?

I like your ideas for where to place the palms. The one where the red plants are totally makes sense. I think the one to block the house makes sense as well. Can I get a closer look at the area where the palms will go to answer your question about beds vs grass?

In ground, 15x27, 80 feet perimeter, 3'6 to 5 feet deep, 13,000 gallons, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, Jandy VSP, Jandy DE 60, Jandy LXI, Nature 2 Ozone, 2 pool LED lights, 1 Spa LED light pebble tech aqua blue. Frisco,
Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your ideas for where to place the palms. The one where the red plants are totally makes sense. I think the one to block the house makes sense as well. Can I get a closer look at the area where the palms will go to answer your question about beds vs grass?

In ground, 15x27, 80 feet perimeter, 3'6 to 5 feet deep, 13,000 gallons, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, Jandy VSP, Jandy DE 60, Jandy LXI, Nature 2 Ozone, 2 pool LED lights, 1 Spa LED light pebble tech aqua blue. Frisco,
Texas

Here's a photo from the back side

I would extend the flower beds personally just to keep up with the clean and finished look. But that's just me. :D Pool looks good! :mrgreen:

If it were me, I would plant the palms in the beds as opposed to planting them in the grass - even if it means extending the beds. They are more protected that way. If you have a lawn service, I can almost guarantee that the would weed-wack around the trunk of the tree. Over the long term, that would eventually cause damage to the palms. They don't need any more stress considering that they are being planted in an area that is right on the cusp of their agricultural zone (from a cold-tolerance point of view).

Nice looking pool, BTW.

Yes I vote for the beds as well. You could also get some rocks to accent the base of the palms as well if you wanted to

Texas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh wow... That's a big hole!!! It's definitely worth it then if it's rock and clay! :shock: Take pics!!!

Thanks Woody - but I'm paying them to plant them! No way I was going to try to dig a hole big enough through all this muck, clay and rock to plant them. It's will be worth every penny, I assure you!

Smart! Those small Japanese maples I planted were a pain in all this muck and clay. So I can't imagine planting anything huge like that

Texas

It looks wonderful!! Love the trees!

Texas

Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy, they fertilized them and I watered them, dumped some mulch and watered a little more. He told me to fertilize them every four months. I asked if there was anything I should do when it gets colder....other than pray!! He laughed and said this past winter was really bad but wrapping them should help if it's a normal winter here they should be ok.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.