ran out of titrate reagent 0871

Jul 27, 2012
I have some of the chemical on order, but I ran out in the middle of SLAM - so, I was going to grab a test kit from walmart (maybe my pool store if they have anything other than strips). So far, I haven't found any of the ones recommended, but I was thinking the hth 6-way test kit MIGHT be good enough to keep my chlorine levels right until my package arrives?

There isn't really any good substitute for the FAS-DPD chlorine test. The Walmart kit is good for several of the tests, but not measuring FC levels.

There is a remote chance you can find R-0871 at a pool store, but Walmart won't have it.

Don't be too surprised if the pool store employees have no idea what you are talking about. Don't ask for the FAS-DPD reagent as they will likely think it is the same as the DPD reagents. Ask for it by number.

Another option is to dilute and scale.

Using the OTO test, try this.

In a jar, Mix 1 oz of pool water with 3 oz of tap (bottled, distilled) water. This will reduce the concentration of chlorine by a factor of 4.

Use that mixed water to fill up your OTO tubes and test as normal.

Then, multiple the number you get by 4. Thus, if you get around 3, your FC is 12 (plus or minus)

If it is still "off scale", you can mix 1 oz pool water for 9 oz tap water and multiple by 10.

I've tried this a few times when I didn't want to use up 30+ drops of reagent each time I tested during a SLAM. It seemed to be consistent with the full test.

Another option is to dilute and scale.

Using the OTO test, try this.

In a jar, Mix 1 oz of pool water with 3 oz of tap (bottled, distilled) water. This will reduce the concentration of chlorine by a factor of 4.

Use that mixed water to fill up your OTO tubes and test as normal.

Then, multiple the number you get by 4. Thus, if you get around 3, your FC is 12 (plus or minus)

If it is still "off scale", you can mix 1 oz pool water for 9 oz tap water and multiple by 10.

I've tried this a few times when I didn't want to use up 30+ drops of reagent each time I tested during a SLAM. It seemed to be consistent with the full test.

I'm sorry, but using tap water is not a good idea. It could have Chlorine in it already and interfere with the test.

Also, the FC/TC test is one that is most affected by dilution where accuracy will suffer. If you want to save reagent for this test, a better option is to just reduce the sample size to 5mL. Dilution can be an "ok" option for other tests, but not so much for Chlorine, FC especially.

I'm with brushpup. The more you modify and alter these tests, the more you screw up the precision you need to get valid results.

I consider the OTO test at full strength to be "coarse". When you dilute it once (1:1) it becomes even worse. I would have absolutely no faith in the results of a 3:1 dilution and would far prefer to wait until I could perform an FAS/DPD chlorine test instead of the WAG ( wild *** guess) a 3:1 OTO test gives you.

Reading between the lines, you can see I have an agenda in that I sell the refills. I promise I would post the same info if I had nothing to do with them.

I just kept adding about the same amount I had been adding every few hours . . . and crossed my fingers. NONE of the pool stores around here or in the neighboring town had - although one of them knew what I was talking about and why, so that was impressive.

The R-0871 arrived by US mail yesterday, so we are back on track (and the numbers were still in shock level). Thanks for the ideas. Next time I will remember to go ahead and buy all the chemicals BEFORE I SLAM even if I think I have plenty :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.