Help with pH

What are there, if any, water features? Like fountains, waterfalls etc. which are sources of aeration. Have you noticed any air in your pump basket, indicating a possible suction side leak?

Was your PH more stable last season?

What are there, if any, water features? Like fountains, waterfalls etc. which are sources of aeration. Have you noticed any air in your pump basket, indicating a possible suction side leak?

Was your PH more stable last season?

I have a waterfall, spill over from hot tub and a weeping rock wall. My pH has always been high. It's been a constant battle. I remember reading an article last summer about don't fight your pH. However, it constantly runs around 8.2-8.4 and I wanna get it right.

- - - Updated - - -

Since your pool is almost 2 years old, it should be calming down by now. When was the last time you had your pH below 7.5?

I had it down to 7.2 last week after aeration but it bumped right back up a few days later.

"I aerated last week to get my TA down. It was around 120. My pH is still jumping up. Thanks for the help."

Aerating won't lower your TA. The MA lowers your TA and aerating raises your PH.

That sounds a little high, but not a whole lot worse than my pool's appetite for acid. If you have hard water and you top off, you'll raising pH and TA every time. All those water features tend to drive pH up constantly, too. If you can reduce the flow to the spillover, it should help.

Here is the link to article in pool school about lowering TA.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity

I can't comment on what is "normal" as I have no experience with pool surfaces other than my own vinyl and for some reason I'm thinking that affects PH (I'm sure an expert here can chime in). If you have an SWG, that also causes PH to rise, requiring regular doses of MA. Areating a lot will keep that PH creeping up as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any water features are aeration sources, as are SWG units... once you get your TA down to the 70 range your PH should stabilize. It may take some more routine doses of MA - every time it hits 7.8 or higher calculate to lower it to 7.2. Eventually the TA will fall into range and running your water features won't affect the PH as much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.