why is pump out on top and not on bottom?

May 2, 2013
Ok..let's see if I can explain this since I'm sure not politically correct in my terminology. ..lol

Why is the pump out come into the pool on top....or towards the surface instead of being located towards the bottom?

Seems like if it came in in the middle or maybe 3/4 way down....the water would be circulated much better?

Right? .....wrong? .....obviously wrong. ...because companies would be making them this way...but I just don't understand? ???

Also...there used to be a thread on hayward threw wall skimmer with detailed instruction s...anyone know where it went. I can't seem to find it and also looked threw intex help threads (skicky)

Some IG pools do have returns that are lower but that is basically by choice. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Closer to the top and you can get the surface to move around so the skimmers work better. Lower down adds to lower circulation but the surface doesn't move as much.But generally surface returns can be used for both since most eyeballs allow you to point down or up so if there is only one return, my choice would be closer to the surface.

Some IG pools do have returns that are lower but that is basically by choice. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Closer to the top and you can get the surface to move around so the skimmers work better. Lower down adds to lower circulation but the surface doesn't move as much.But generally surface returns can be used for both since most eyeballs allow you to point down or up so if there is only one return, my choice would be closer to the surface.

I see.

Well I have a intex 16" x 48" (I think...lol) but upgrading to the sand filter/pump this season with thru wall skimmer....(nope...just read my details below....lol) 14
I think I remember reading last year someone else upgraded and never had to vacuum. I was just thinking....in which is good and bad....lol
But now wonder if installing a return on top and towards the bottom? ??

Over thinking. ..I know right? :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.